tire loose pressure

Old 07-12-09, 01:30 PM
tire loose pressure

My tires lose about 5 psi each month so I have to refill. Is it normal that my tires lose 5 psi each month?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-09, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Yes.....normal, well, with qualification. Do you drive from high to low altitudes regularly? When I go from here to Vegas I have to adjust. Tires do leak air, I check mine once a week normally.

Take your caps off the valve stems and spray a little soapy water..look for bubbles.

They also had a run of bad stems a few years back..if you have had new tires put on in that time frame, you might check that. They rotted out around the area where they seated to the wheel.

Old 07-12-09, 01:52 PM
Aluminum wheels leak at the beads when they are older

Old 07-12-09, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
True...aluminum wheels are porous and can lose air.

Old 07-12-09, 02:22 PM
Are they Alloy Wheels?

You didn't mention what make of car, and type of wheels you have. If you were to say it was a 7 or 10 year old Grand Am with the optional alloy wheels for instance it is a good bet that you are losing some air around the bead. It is my experience that especially if the car has been driven in northern climates the inner surface of the rims tend to blister, and deteriorate and in severe cases can actually develop pin holes through the rim itself. I found that tire sealant along with rim sanding can help alot with this slow leak problem, unless you want to replace all the wheels with something new, which is what many shops will suggest. I have also found that just having new tires with fresh beads being sealed for the first time often stops the problem also. Unless there are extreme temperature changes going on, and if your wheels are alloy, I would try to clean/sand and remount with a sealer as a first step if you find adding that much air every month of such a big concern. Adding and checking air is alot cheaper, and at least the checking should be done no matter what you drive.

Old 07-12-09, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Simple solution..and recommended by almost everyone....check your tire pressure weekly after eliminating any possible problems.