Need Help with a seized wheel

Old 07-12-09, 06:54 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Help with a seized wheel

Hello all,

So here is my problem. I was changing the rear brakes on my 06 Mazda 3 this afternoon. I finished the both sides and went to take the car for a drive and the passenger side wheel was seized up.

I took the tire off to inspect the issue. I originally thought that the rotor was warped as it seems to not fight right in the caliper bracket. However, I replaced with another rotor and had the same issue.

I don't know if the lug nuts were over tightened or what but I am starting to think that the wheel hub assembly is going bad. when i turn the hub I can hear a clicking noise. I am just wondering that if a wheel bearing can cause this issue.

Thanks for your help.

David

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-09, 06:42 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't get this: You replaced the caliper because the wheel was seized? Did you try to turn the rotor first, after it was opened up and exposed, to see if the problem was with the ability of the wheel to turn (spin freely), rather than if the caliper was not retracting? Have you made that determination now? Like have you yet again tried to re-remove the caliper and see if the rotor turns turn?

In case you are not aware of this - not to say this is your problem, but - often a reason why a caliper does not retract is a flexible brake hose is collapsed on the inside. Not sure though on rear wheels if flexilbe lines are used/necessary. (I've never had to deal wirth rear disc brakes, but I have fronts many times) They are on the front ones though.

Is just that passenger side affected at this time? Have you checked to be sure, to rule out some other issue where brake fluid is not allowed to return to the master cylinder?

Old 07-13-09, 08:09 AM
T
Brakes

Ok, when you installed the rear pads did both sides go in without issue? Did the rear disc turn with the wheel off as in a bolt length issue? What type of parking brake is used, there are rear brake shoes also located at the rear axel inside of the brake rotor/ hat assemblies. There could be an issue there effecting the rear wheel at one side only. It worked prior to your repair so it has to be something you touched wether intentional or not.
Bill

Old 07-13-09, 09:01 AM
M
I have removed the pads and calliper. When the bracket that holds the calliper is off the rotor will turn without issue. When turning I do hear a clicking noise coming from the hub assembly. However, as soon as the bracket it on the rotor will only turn part of the way then stick. I am thinking that the hub assembly might have been warped when putting the tires or the rotor on as I do not hear a clicking noise from the other wheels.

The parking brake on this car are built into the calliper and returned via a spring. I am pretty sure that this is not causing the issue as the rotor doesn't turn when installed with the bracket on.

Has anyone else ever had anything like this happen?

David

Old 07-13-09, 03:48 PM
It sounds as if you lost the lockwasher on one of the bracket bolts.... Look carefully , as the bolts will extend too far out and hit the rotor without the washer installed.

Old 07-14-09, 03:44 AM
M
I checked the bolts and they are not contacting the rotor. I am going to replace the hub and see what happens.

David

Old 07-14-09, 05:05 PM
T
Brakes

Did you replace the disc when you did repairs? It sounds as if the rotor interferes with the caliper bracket. Seen it a number of times after brake repairs.
Bill