Tight transmission Fill Plug

Old 07-15-09, 05:47 PM
Stuck Transmission Fill Plug

I need to change to transmission fluid in my 1999 acura CL 3.0 but I cannot get the fill cap off. The transmission was replaced by Acura 30,000 miles ago and the cap hasn't been removed since it was installed. The service manual says to tighten the fill plug to 33 foot pounds but I'm applying well over 100 lbs, a 1/2 inch breaker bar with a piece of pipe on the end and I'm just twisting the extension bar.
Is this unsual? Should I try an impact wrench or do I risk damaging the transmission? I have tried heating the plug but there is a plastic electrical connection very close to the plug that I risk melting. What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-09, 06:18 PM
Absolutely no Impact tools are to go near the plug.....Understood, must I say it louder?????

Not sure, but I assume this is an aluminum case, and impact tools will probably loosen up a Large chunk of your case instead of the plug.

If you have space, a few sharp Smacks with a hammer will likely dislodge the threads , allowing it to be unscrewed using intended pressure or force.

If this is a sealed unit, and not leaking, why are you concerned about getting the plug out????

Old 07-15-09, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
Absolutely no Impact tools are to go near the plug.....Understood, must I say it louder?????

Not sure, but I assume this is an aluminum case, and impact tools will probably loosen up a Large chunk of your case instead of the plug.

If you have space, a few sharp Smacks with a hammer will likely dislodge the threads , allowing it to be unscrewed using intended pressure or force.

If this is a sealed unit, and not leaking, why are you concerned about getting the plug out????
Because that is where the new fluid is supposed to go. The dip stick pipe is way too small.

Old 07-16-09, 12:08 AM
Those cunning Honda people (you did know Acura was made by Honda)more than likely used either a sealant on the threads or lock tight if in a coastal area then I'd blame electrolisis. If we can't get it loose we use a coleman funnel in the dipstick tube to top it off (have a machine to flush and fill) a couple of bucks in the camping section of about any dept store beats trashing the case on a 1500 to 2300 dollar trans. It may fill slow but it works

Old 07-16-09, 07:37 AM
Plug

I can't imagine a fill plug with that tight of hold. A half inch drive breaker bar? Are you sure your not attempting to remove the incorrect part? I assume that you have drained the fluid already so replacing it is required. Mercedes Benz has used a small filler pipe with a filtering funnel to refill the trans for years. Now a special pump is needed and the procedure is performed from beneath the car with the fluid at a specific temperature.
Bill

Old 07-16-09, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Tijoe View Post
I can't imagine a fill plug with that tight of hold. A half inch drive breaker bar? Are you sure your not attempting to remove the incorrect part? I assume that you have drained the fluid already so replacing it is required. Mercedes Benz has used a small filler pipe with a filtering funnel to refill the trans for years. Now a special pump is needed and the procedure is performed from beneath the car with the fluid at a specific temperature.
Bill
Fortunately, I tried to add oil first. I had replaced the fluid a couple of times on the original transmission and I remember it was tight but I was able to get it off with a 3/8 breaker bar. I think I will call the dealer after all they are the ones that put it on.

Search this Thread