1997 Ford Ranger SOHC 4 cyl. 3.0

Old 07-15-09, 09:19 PM
Unhappy 1997 Ford Ranger SOHC 4 cyl. 3.0

Problem: Rough Idle and loss of power at low RPM's. (acts like starving for gas) High RPM runs good.

I have replaced: Fuel filter, plugs(all eight), wires, Fuel pressure reg, Idle air module, fuel pressure regulator and MAF. It runs ruff and ruff idles bad 80% of the time. It seems before it warms up it runs better. When I replaced the Idle Air module, when unplugged the RPM's would not drop lower, I replaced it but the next module does the same thing.
I am totally lost on this.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-09, 11:48 PM
I am a little confused does it seem to run good when cold and after warmed up does this? OR is it doing this all the time just worse at temp? Any MIL light? (check engine)Right now I can think of about 15 different things it could be, knowing answers to those questions would narrow it down some just don't want to send you on a wild goose chase.

Old 07-16-09, 09:53 AM
Problem Update

It does it cold but gets worse as it warms up. After warm up gets really bad if A/C is on(no power)(A/C off runs a little better but the problem still exist). I had a machine read the codes and there are none.

Sorry the engine is a 2.3 not a 3.0

Last edited by Kanoy; 07-16-09 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Add Info
Old 07-17-09, 08:51 AM
Smile Fixed

I had an ignition coil (2.3 requires two coils)that was weak, when I replaced it the problem went away.

Search this Thread