Steam Cleaning

Old 07-16-09, 12:00 PM
Steam Cleaning

Ive seen people steam clean their engines and the engine bay area. I have a car that isnt tagged or insured so I cant take it anywhere to have it done. I was wondering if the steamer mentioned below has enough power to clean my engine and bay area. It would make working on it alot easier and cleaner.

Irs a shark sc-505, it appears to be a decent steamer, with teh nozzel things, I was wondering if anyone here had one. and do you think its got enough power to clean an engine and bay?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-09, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Don't waste your time and money. If its not registered or insured...why do you care about the engine bay?

Fill a spray bottle with full strength Simple Green and spray what needs cleaning..then rinse with low pressure water.

Old 07-16-09, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Don't waste your time and money. If its not registered or insured...why do you care about the engine bay?

Fill a spray bottle with full strength Simple Green and spray what needs cleaning..then rinse with low pressure water.

You don't need any steam to clean your engine bay!! I detail cars as a side job mainly 50 cars every summer. This is what I do.

Make sure the car is cooled off before doing this. Its ok if it is a slight warm, but if its hot from a trip you could damage/crack the block!! Happened to my friend!!
Anyway, spray the engine off w/ water, a power washer is best, but hose will do, spray a degreaser on all over your engine. Simple green will work. I use a product from Malco called Red Thunder. Works great on your bath tub also, sinks, etc!! Let that set for a min or 2 and spray it off. I then take a tire shine product and spray all over the engine bay mainly on the black rubber parts but all over is fine. That product from malco is called Blue Blazes. You can use it on your tires, dash, anything rubber/vinyl. Do not dry your engine off, spray it on the engine while its wet, the water helps disperse the tire shine type stuff. Looks great when your done! Check out this forum:
http://forum.doityourself.com/automo...vertising.html

Last edited by GregH; 07-16-09 at 04:20 PM. Reason: No advertising!!!
Old 07-16-09, 02:58 PM
Ill go have a looksie at the prices of the tire shine, and the other cleaners. I have some simple green but ehh it dont work to well for me.

Old 07-16-09, 03:59 PM
cleaner

I have used a cleaner called Engine Bright with good results, I think it's made by Gunk.
Bill

Search this Thread