89 Olds -Service Engine Code 41

Old 06-15-09, 02:21 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
89 Olds -Service Engine Code 41

Car is a 1989 Olds Delta 88 with the 3.8 liter engine - 141,000 miles. I've been getting a code 41 every so often for the last year, and more often since the weather has gotten warmer. It was coming on every day until we had a week of cooler rainey weather, and it did not come on all week. It seems to have something to do with hotter running engine temps. I don't think its the cam sensor, because it starts immediately (no long cranking) and runs great. It does seem to run rougher when the service engine light comes on. In the last year I've replaced the plugs, wires, EGR, the cat (plugged) and two years ago replaced the coil pack. AC still works, but it doesn't blow out the body vents anymore (climate control automatically controls this).

I was told that a code 41 could be other things besides the cam sensor magnet....Anybody got suggestions??

Old 06-15-09, 05:02 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Turbojohn
It does seem to run rougher when the service engine light comes on.....
It be nice to know whether it really does - or if there is some power of suggestion there, when the light comes on. Could it be an old stored code from when it maybe really needed the cam sensor from before you put in a cam sensor?

Have you thought to check or ask if this problem is common with your vintage car/miles, by seeing if any service bulletins are out on it?

Old 06-15-09, 05:44 PM
W
*9 makes this an OBD 1 which should lose its memeory by disconnecting the battery neg for ten sec........
Code 41 on those refers to the cam sensor CIRCUIT....99 times out of 100 the magnet falls off the cam gear and the sensor thusly produces no signal.
You can take out the sensor from underneath and roll the engine over by hand to SEE if the magnet is there or not

Old 07-18-09, 04:47 PM
T
Code 41 on Olds solved

I thought I would post this solution in case someone else is driving one of these beaters!! I replaced the camshaft sensor which solved the problem which got worse with warmer weather. My mechanic friend said that they can go bad from heat and age as can the ignition module. The ignition module helped but the problem went away after replacing the camshaft sensor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: