Used 1999 Ford Taurus

Old 07-17-09, 04:43 PM
Used 1999 Ford Taurus

Hello,

I am looking at buying a used Ford Taurus. It is a 1999 with 90,000 miles for about $3000 including tax and title (Kelley Blue Book is $4000). The car looks to be in excellent condition. However, the coolant box is all black (literally all black). It looks like maybe black soot? Has anyone had an experience like this? If I flush the coolant, will there still be problems with it? Overall, looks like the car has been well taken care of. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-09, 05:17 PM
Black in the auto trade usually means CARBON.....and carbon only gets into the coolant by way of a head gasket leak.....

Look at the trans fluid......is it the same color and consistency as the coolant??? There could also be an internal rad leak, mixing trans and cooling fluids.

Since you are there and we are here......and it is your money......
well..... ummm....

ALWAYS BRING A QUALIFIED MECHANIC WITH YOU WHEN LOOKING TO BUY A VEHICLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-17-09, 06:30 PM
black could be dirty coolant that was never changed in it's 90k miles. the taurus is a solid car but the tranny is the weak point.
smell the tranny fluid if it's burnt then i would stay away because it has not been maintained.

my taurus has 154g miles.

Old 07-18-09, 05:24 AM
Group Moderator
Just my $.02 worth, but I wouldn't own a Taurus/Sable on a bet. Towed too many of them.

Old 07-18-09, 11:29 AM
If the transmission fluid looks ok, would the car be worth buying? The gasket and replacing the coolant should be fairly simple fixes.

Old 07-18-09, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Just my $.02 worth, but I wouldn't own a Taurus/Sable on a bet. Towed too many of them.
you don't think that's wrong to say.

i have a taurus 154g miles nothing wrong just usual maintenance.

Old 07-18-09, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Well..part of the issue is that Taurus's (Tauri?) were the most popular selling car for years and years. Plus..there were plenty of rentals and strippers that were sold cheap...most folks didn't take care of them..so maybe they broke down. Plus remember TG is in FL..which means tons of rentals by people who could care less.