2002 chevy s10

Old 07-18-09, 02:18 PM
Angry 2002 chevy s10

Replace timing chain, plugs, cam and crank sensors, getting all kind of fuel and pressure but ignition coils for 2-3 and 1-4 were checked and are good, but the plugs are new and the wires are old and they never had been changed and the engine turns over yet it won't start?/??????? so i am lost we even replaced the ECM

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-09, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Well, no expert..but I have to respond to a fellow Squid.

Are you getting any spark to the plugs? Nothing has changed..it's still air, fuel, spark...but they have to happen at the right time.

Old 07-18-09, 03:06 PM
well I try and even at times I did and two plugs and got bit but one of them I had no spark

Old 07-18-09, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Well, with everything else you've done..I'd get new coils and wires. See what happens.

Are you positive the timing chain is correct? If its not...nothing will ever run, but you should still get the "chuffs" and "puffs" when it tries.

Again...no expert..they may be around later....

Old 07-18-09, 04:36 PM
Well I just replaced wires with new ones and going to take the coils to see if they can test them and a electrical base board that the coil is attached to, but after I replaced the new wires nothing, I replaced sensors for the cam and crank, plus plugs, fuel filter, tested the fuel pressure, replaced ECM, new timing chain, timed and I even sprayed starter fluid and gas and nothing now it turns but won't run I am at a lost HELP

Old 07-18-09, 08:00 PM
If it didnt try to start when you sprayed starting fluid in it you have no fire. The "electrical base board" the coils are mounted to is the ignition module and could well be the trouble. Did you do all that work for a no start condition, or was there another problem, and then a no start?

Old 07-19-09, 12:23 AM
Had that happen once in our shop I assume that when you did the timing chain that you replaced the gears also in our case the reluctance wheel was improperly installed on the set and although the ecu was getting the proper number of signals from the sensors they were not in the correct places for ingnition to take place the only way we found this was using an O scope to trak the ing signals against the position marker signals. This only happend once in the last 5 years but parts manufactures can make mistakes. Drove us insane for almost 2 days.

Old 07-19-09, 06:16 AM
So I know that the crank and the cam gears were replaced and the chain but I was not the one who did it and the person who did was a brother who works on cars and said he checked it 3 times to make sure that it was all lined up and so I took out the cam sensor and look to see if it was rotating and it was, so is it possible that the timing may be off and what is it I do to time this, is it just lining up the marks, or holes on the gears side by side they line up vertical and is there any other way I could do this because I dont have Osciliscope? Also what is the proper way to line everything up like number 1 cyc etc.

Old 07-19-09, 06:20 AM
ok what is the reluctance wheel on this is the gears for the crank or cam? or something else in the timing assembly?

Old 07-19-09, 06:45 AM
well what happen a person was driving and then it just stalled quit like the engine just stop and it cranks over but would not start and then this person just started with the timing chain and all without talking to me and all and now it like this ?

Old 07-20-09, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by Maniac Mechanic View Post
Had that happen once in our shop I assume that when you did the timing chain that you replaced the gears also in our case the reluctance wheel was improperly installed on the set and although the ecu was getting the proper number of signals from the sensors they were not in the correct places for ingnition to take place the only way we found this was using an O scope to trak the ing signals against the position marker signals. This only happend once in the last 5 years but parts manufactures can make mistakes. Drove us insane for almost 2 days.
what is the reluctance wheel ??????

Old 07-20-09, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
Good pic here:

Chevy Chevelle Ls Engine Swap Reluctor Wheel Photo - Super Chevy Magazine Article at Automotive.com

This is not yours, but just an example. The reluctor wheel is the big ring to the right with the teeth. It is what the crank sensor uses to determine crank position.

Another good diagram here; again, not yours, just an example:

GM Performance :: View topic - OEM Distributorless 411-powered 454?

Scroll down to the black & white line drawing about 1/3 of the way down.

Old 07-20-09, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the pictures and info, but if I took out that sensor for the crank and look inside what should I be looking for? and I already had replaced the sensor, can I look in that hole the sensor come out of and see if any teeth are missing, or will there be a notch I am looking for that was cut into the wheel?

Old 07-28-09, 08:41 AM
Exclamation be aware

when the timing chain lets go on that car-there is danger that the head could be affected, also and, thus, mess up timing & such. just a thought.

Old 07-30-09, 11:38 PM
Sorry I've been on vacation offline no cell phone and nobody within 12 miles. Anyhow what happend that started this whole project? To assure your timing bump the engine around till you feel or have compression on number 1 cyl. check your timing mark on the harmonic balancer it should be close to lining up for ing and set it to 0 deg or TDC. Now on to the reluctince wheel unfortunatly there are no marks on that and the only way to check it is by an o scope. I can't recall off the top of my head the proper alinement of the timing marks but 95 percent of GM products are dot on the bottem of the cam gear and top of the crank gear with the engine set to number one @ TDC of course you will have to tear it down to look at this. Like other posts have said even with computer controls you need the cam timing and spark in the proper place the make it run if you have fuel. Also did you get the ECU flashed when you replaced it.Most of those are not a "plug and play" system they need to be programed to work properly. Will check back tommarrow night

Search this Thread