how to test fusible links

Old 07-18-09, 06:56 PM
B
BLD
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how to test fusible links

I have a 95 ford 350 van and I am trying to test the fusible links.

I am a little confused on which fuse i should be testing and how.. I have 3 wires coming out of the solenoid with about 3 inch length of insulation on them.

2 of these wires are thicker than the others and doubled up as they pass through the 3inches of thick insulation.. The 3rd wire is much thinner in diameter and passes through its own insulation.

The fact that 2 of these wires are doubled up and seem to be glued where the insulation starts prevents me from doing a simple pull test to see if the wire stretches. Do I need to cut away some of this insulation to check continuity on these wires or is there an easier way?

Do you think the smaller or one of the larger wires would be responsible for controlling my fuses in the car.

Old 07-19-09, 12:37 AM
Fuseable links can be identified by plastic connecters at each end where they hook to wires, If they feel real soft between these hard connectors thats the blown link.

Old 07-19-09, 12:40 AM
Fuseable links can be identified by plastic connecters at each end where they hook to wires, If they feel real soft between these hard connectors thats the blown link. A contintunity test on the outside of the connecters will verify this. I don't reccomend stripping wires to test this if you can get a couple of "bed o nails" clips to do this test thats the safest and best way ,stripping insulation on a always hot wire is never a good idea due to the problems it can cause down the road (shorts opens electrical fires ect) Hope this helps

Old 07-20-09, 06:19 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
fuse links

You can buy a cheap test light that has a ice pick like probe on it to test with. Good idea to tape the hole when you are done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: