1996 Ford Contour Sport

Old 07-20-09, 07:33 AM
1996 Ford Contour Sport

The coolant temperature gauge on the dash hasn't worked for quite some time, but I figure it is time to do something! ( For a long time, it was intermittent and/or very low reading, now never comes off the bottom peg.)

I am mechanically inclined, but don't work on cars, but I figure I might be able to try to replace the sending unit. When I go to the on-line parts databases, I see two parts listed....a temperature sensor, and temperature sender. Can anyone tell me which of these would be the one I want?

From what I can tell in my Chilton book, this item should be on the left front side of the engine. I see what I think is the item.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-09, 08:12 AM
Group Moderator
One will be for the temp gauge and the other for the computer input. My instinct is that the "sender" would be for the temp gauge and the "sensor" for the computer.

You didn't say which engine. According to AutoZone the sending unit is located on the thermostat housing on the 2.0L engine and on the water crossover tube on the 2.5L engine.

Old 07-20-09, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking along those same lines.

I have an extra car, and I think I can just remove the suspect item, test it, and take it with me to a local Napa.

Thanks again,