2000 Buick Park Avenue coil pack

Old 07-23-09, 08:41 AM
2000 Buick Park Avenue coil pack

I had posted a problem a few days ago that I thought may be may transmission problem. Last evening I was on the highway and the transmission seemed to hesitate a couple of times going down the road. My friend who was with me said that his car had done that before and that he had a coil pack that went bad and caused the engine to misfire for an instant and caused the same type of problem I have experienced. I had also noticed that when I had the car in gear, sitting at a stop sign with the brake on, a couple of very quick motor hesitations, which is probably similar to going down the road.

If I have a coil pack problem, how can I check to see which coil is good and which one is bad?

Thank you,

Duane Gordon

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-09, 12:33 PM
Similar problem on 2001 Buick LeSabre

Duane,
We've started experiencing a similar problem with our Buick but we're getting a 'Service Engine Soon' code indicating a problem with Mass-Flow Oxygen sensor.
You'll start to pull out from a stop or even traveling down the road at 40 mph and the power feels like it just falls-out, engine balks a little and then it catches back; but you get a bit of a shudder as it's going through this.
We just had a rebuilt Jasper engine installed 10K miles ago but did not replace the coil pack, which I don't think was included with the engine.
Gary

Old 07-23-09, 12:40 PM
Shudder

Have you ever replaced the plug wires? This is something you can do and probably needs done wheither it is your main problem or not.

Old 07-25-09, 04:51 AM
2000 buick Park Avenue

I have not changed the plug wires or any of the coil packs. It was suggested that I check the coil packs connections to the plugs for any rust or corrosion and I did find one connection that is suspect and brushed it off to see if this was my problem. Took it for a drive and it still did it, but this time, the check engine light came on and came up with a 0102 code. What are the chances of my (what I think) electrical problem causing the check engine light to come on? It did reset and the check engine light went off.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 07-25-09, 05:04 AM
Group Moderator
P0102 is mass airflow circuit low input.

Old 07-30-09, 09:04 AM
Update to Duane

Duane,
Replacing the Mass Air Flow sensor seems to have fixed our issue. No more balking at pull-out or when traveling down the road and no more Service Engine Soon light...
Let us know how yours resolved.

On your other issue asking about the tranny filter/fluid change... Probably a good idea even if not connected to your current issue. It's pretty simple - Filter costs about $40, 8 quarts of ATF Dexron III around $30 bucks and your good to go. I do mine like the other poster responded at about 60K to 70K miles. I even got one of those little 12 volt fluid pumps for oil changes from JC Whitney to pump out a gallon of tranny fluid every other year, replacing with new fluid between the larger Tranny Filter replacement job. I'll do this maybe 3 separate times in Fall so that I've replaced most of the tranny fluid between years as the 12 volt pump can't reach any further down the tranny fluid fill tube.
To remove the tranny pan cover
Takes about 16-18 (I think they're 10mm/12mm heads) bolts to remove the tranny pan over a 12 qt waste oil container -- you're going to get probably 8 qts of old fluid when dropping the pan cover. Be EXTRA careful not to damage the transmission pan cover Gasket -- it costs more than the tran filter to replace and it's designed to be re-used by gently cleaning off with a dry lint free cloth.
Toughest part is wiggling the old filter loose -- use long screwdrivers to gently pry between the filter and tranny housing if necessary -- just be careful not to damage anything above the filter.
Install new filter and replace pan by finger-tightening the bolts on opposite corners at first to align the pan/gasket with the transmission housing and then do the same on all sides so that you maintain uniform pressure on the gasket as you tighten the bolts. Just like when tightening the tire rim bolts.
Later,
Gary

Old 07-30-09, 01:36 PM
Gary:

Did they test your MAF component before replacing it or simply put one on it seems to correct the problem? I have not replaced mine yet as I wanted to see how things went for you. My check engine light only came on once and has not been back on since I reset it with my code reader. My problem is intermittent and does not happen all the time, so it is hard for me to tell.

Thank you,

Duane

Old 09-10-09, 06:04 AM
2000 Buick Park Avenue

Beer 4U2My solution to my hesitation problem did end up being the MAF sensor. To test this is not apparently easy and a tech is the best qualified person to test this from what I found out. What I did do was to unplug the sensor and my hestation did not occur again. The car ran fine, but the gas mileage was worse and the check engine light stayed on with the 0102 code. When I plugged it back in, the hesitation started again. I bought a new Cardone MAF sensor for $138.99 at Autozone or Advanced Auto (don't have the receipt with me). A remanufactured one was only $2.00 less and required the core. It does not make sense, but this is what I found. This was the best deal I found with a lifetime warranty. I seems to have solved my problem and my fuel mileage did increase and performance is back to normal.

I did try to clean the MAF sensor before replacement, but this did not take care of my problem.