Digital Speedometer Installation

Old 07-23-09, 03:17 PM
Digital Speedometer Installation

My wife has a 2002 Oldsmobile Silhouette minivan. The speedometer is analog. She has enough photo speed radar tickets to wallpaper a room, courtesy of our draconian county. At $40 a pop, it's getting expensive. She also drives my car, which has a large LCD readout, and has never gotten such a ticket, which leads me to believe it's because her speedo is not nearly as easy to see and read as mine.

I would like to install a digital readout speedometer in the hope that this will make keeping the van to within 10 mph of the limit a bit easier.

The only thing I found on the internet is a kit called SPA. I cannot find any meaningful information on it, or on the existence of anything else. What do you recommend and how difficult is it to install? Your help and advice is sincerely appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-09, 07:12 PM
the speedometer in this van is part of a module, among displaying lights and gauges it communicates with other modules, if this is possible to do it would take a aftermarket ipc that was programed to work with the car, or u could install a separate outside speedo of the cluster

Old 07-24-09, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
Probably cheaper to use a GPS unit with the speed display. Or possibly there is a kit of some sort that will turn a light/LED on over a certain speed?

Old 07-26-09, 09:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Probably more legal than license plate shopping at the mall or putting a mirror over the plate. But seriously in car magazines I have seen license plate covers that block photo radar but look normal to the naked eye in the back section ads of car magazines.

Old 07-27-09, 08:18 AM
spedo

I would work on the wife not the car.

Old 07-28-09, 09:06 AM
Gps

I second the GPS it not only tells the speed but also the limit on the road you are on.
Much more easy then trying to reinvent the wheel.

Old 07-28-09, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Just so everyone knows...

The OP left a note on my profile a day of so after my post. He already had a GPS in the van, but didn't realize if could give that info. Guess he's going to try that for a while.

Old 07-28-09, 12:34 PM
Although it isn't legal, license plate shopping can be fun. I haven't done it in several years though.

Old 07-28-09, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
Although it isn't legal, license plate shopping can be fun. I haven't done it in several years though.

At the mall PUNK?????C'mon ya lightweight....It aint no fun unless your on the center lane of the expressway at night

Old 07-29-09, 12:23 PM
I still have a couple I have found on I-95 in CT back in the 1990's. One is a New Jersey commercial plate. The other is from Texas for a token trailer. No clue what a token trailer is. I don't think it was for a trailer carrying video game tokens.

Last edited by nightowlpunk; 07-29-09 at 12:24 PM. Reason: punktuation (mispelling but fun one)
Old 07-29-09, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
From TxDOT

"A Token Trailer license plate is available only for semitrailers having a gross weight in excess of 6,000 pounds to be pulled by vehicles displaying a Combination, Apportioned, Forestry, NAFTA Annual Permit, or Seasonal Agriculture license plate."

Whatever all that means

btw..off topic...but why does AZ do things different..
We don't have a DMV...we have MVD..and not Fish and Game..we have Game and Fish.

Old 07-29-09, 12:38 PM
Thank you gunguy, Massachusettes calls theirs the Motor Vehicle Registry. Be nice if more states emulated PA, by letting you get your plates at your insurance company.

Off- topic but funny point

Isn't it funny how theirs can spell theIRS?