What does this sound like to you?

Old 07-23-09, 10:17 PM
What does this sound like to you?

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor:

While turning left or driving straight and braking hard, I ma hearing a pop or a click under my left foot, so it is coming from the left side area of the front-end.

I was told previously I had a bad outer tie-rod end. Would that cause this?

If not, what's your guess?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-09, 03:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It definitely sounds as if a suspension part is either loose or hitting against other parts. Have it checked out asap, as you could lose control if this part comes off it's keeper.

Old 07-24-09, 03:44 AM
Crown Vicky's are pretty notorious for ball joint problems.....The OE joints can't be greased, have no fittings so look under the frt end and see if the boots that retain the factory lube are still intact.......I'm betting not. While it COULD be a tie rod, I've seen many more joints go bad.
jack under the lower control arm (compress the spring)and see if there is any radical excess movement

Old 07-24-09, 06:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
It definitely sounds as if a suspension part is either loose or hitting against other parts. Have it checked out asap, as you could lose control if this part comes off it's keeper.

Yesterday I was hobnobbing with a fellow maintenance man I know at an 8 complex unit, and this guy across the way has us come over and look at his car. He said it behaved like it lost power steering. Under the front end near where ball joint is, but slightly back, is this major anchorage component of the front end. And all the metal around that whole area was rusted away. Both the tenant and the other maintenance man do welding, and both said there is nothing left to weld to. The Buick was junk. He would have liked to drive it right to the recyclers, but is afraid of killing someone on the way.

I have ran into many cars now where rear end or front ends have either fallen off or were about to. Scary, living in a state where at least parts of it have no vehicle inspections.

I once called the cops on a car at McDonalds that was repeatedly parking there(employee most likely) that had a main control arm to the rear end - the main one that attaches the axles to the car, was rotted off and hanging down. The cops went there and condemned the car.

I had two vehicles where ball joints fell apart and the wheel buckled under and down she went. Both occured while at intersections, starting to turn corner at slow speed. Others I've talked to have said theirs have collapsed the same way/same locations. Sure is good they want to fall apart there, rather than out on highway at 60-75mph. But----------

------- Does anyone know if there are hardly any cases where balljoints have let go, while cruising down the highway? Or does it almost always occur in the mannor I described? You do hear where people go mysteriously out of control on the interstate and come flying across the median and kill someone in the opposite flow of traffic. And then you never hear what happened - if the driver nodded off or if part of the front end broke.

About a month ago, I was driving down the highway and there was this car coming at me 2 feet over the center line. I started to gear for evasive action, but then he zipped back over into his lane.

The older I get, the more I have learned and seen, the more I am getting distrustful of either the people driving or the unknown condition of their car.

Yesterday, this lady was in an SUV driving down the highway, like - "Look ma, no hands."

Old 07-24-09, 07:52 AM
ball joints

Back about 1959 when they omitted the grease fittings we were told this would make them last longer. The fittings acted like a pump and ingested water in the joint. Kinda sounds like Obama logic.

Old 07-25-09, 05:08 PM
So this sounds more like a BJ, instead of a tie-rod end?

When I had the vehicle inspected, they only noted the bad tie rod end.

I'll have to check up the wheel in question and check some more for movement.

It should also be noted that the rotor feels warped on this wheel, I've been getting a pulsating peddle. But would that cause the clicking/popping I noted?

Old 07-25-09, 06:51 PM
Scratch the warped rotor thing. I just took off both my tires to take a look and when I put them back on, following the proper lug tightening pattern and adjusting them to the correct torque, the pulsation is gone 90% if not entirely.