1998 passport running WARM/hot

Old 07-18-09, 09:21 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1998 passport running WARM/hot

I bought a 98 passport for my daughter and was told that it runs hot sometimes when driven. I let the engine idle and it gets about less than half way up on the idiot gauge but not hot. I drove it about 5 miles and it did not get hot but warmer than idling. I checked everything for leaks and did not have to add any water. I did notice that the fan does'nt seem to be turning as fast as it should. Could the fan clutch be the problem since it seems to get warmer at higher rpm's instead of when idling. No water in oil(head gaskets I think are okay) I just want to get it right for her and have limited funds and mechanic experience(part changer here) THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE.

Old 07-18-09, 01:20 PM
J
1998 Honda Passport 4 door SUV 24 valve 3.2 V-6 Automatic Transmission Air- conditioning

Old 07-19-09, 01:37 AM
The fan clutch can cause this issue also a lazy thermostat (opening late) I'd start with a thermostat and see if it improves the situation. Does the running hot happen with the ac on and does this one have an aux elect fan. Then you might have to look in that direction. Some imports and domestics have both types of fans on vehicals with ac.

Old 07-19-09, 10:22 AM
J
re: passport

It does have an electric aux fan for the ac and it runs fine, ac runs fine. I am going to change the thermostat but I noticed that the fan shroud is not the one for the vehicle and only covers the top quarter of the fan. This does not look right to me, could this be a problem too? All the other cooling parts appear to be new and in good working order. I will flush cooling system and refill with 50/50 and change the thermostat. I will see if that works but I am waiting on a response about the shroud.

Old 07-19-09, 01:28 PM
J
engine block coolant drain plug location

I bought a chilton's manual and it insists they're drain plugs on either side of the engine block to drain the coolant but I can't find them . Does any body know?

Old 07-24-09, 08:05 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
over heating

The fan or shroud should cause more trouble at low speed or sitting still, thats not to say that they shouldn't be in good shape. If the thermo dont do any good you might look at the water pump,its rare but the impellers can come loose.

Old 07-28-09, 05:45 PM
J
correction!!!1997 honda passport

All other efforts to stop overheating failed. I removed the valve cover on the driver's side and around the second valve from the front there is coolant. I don't think this is good but I want to know if I need to tear it down further, or is it a problem I can fix without removing the heads?? Not a troubleshooter, just a part changer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: