Fuel tank removal

Old 07-31-09, 08:53 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fuel tank removal

Have a 1982 380sl that has been laying for over 10 years. fuel tank is full of shallac from fuel going bad. removed access panel and bolts on either side of the tank, but i cant get the tank out. there is a small plastic container mounted above the tank that seems to be also stuck. the tank wiggles, but will not come out. any suggestions

Old 07-31-09, 09:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't forget to unscrew any bolts by the fuel filler neck. That may be your problem. Cannot tell since I never owned a Mercedes.

Old 07-31-09, 02:20 PM
H
Thank you, but the filler neck is part of the tank assy and passes thru a rubber filler

Old 07-31-09, 03:31 PM
Does your tank go up behind the back seat.??????

If so, remove the rear seat framing, and you will find 2 more bolts...

Old 07-31-09, 04:02 PM
T
380 sl

Lets see if I can help, I'm a retired MB mechanic. The tank is held in with 4 bolts mounted at an angle two on either side of the tank behind the crash wall. The tank will be stuck at the bottom where the fuel hoses pass through the body to the pump assy. As for the plastic tank it is a part of the vapor recovery system. Unbolt it and carefully remove it with the tank. The fuel gauge sender will be attached at the top with a plug but will require accessing it from above through the convertible top storage area. The later models had a plastic plug perhaps 3 inch dia. below a felt mat. You can locate it by feeling for the circle with your finger and cutting the circle out with a razor blade. You can unplug it then. ou might even have to remove the strainer from below, it's where the primary fuel supply hose comes out of the tank. Maybe a 36 mm socket is needed for that. Don't remember exactly but that's what I remember. Good luck
Bill

Old 07-31-09, 07:02 PM
T
Gas tank

Forgot to mention the filler neck, as stated it is a one piece unit with the tank. The boot at the body needs to siliconed and manipulated to loosen it up. It is fitted between the body and the tank so it may well be destroyed as it is old and stiff. Available through MB, also the pump is below the tank and is gravity fed so whatever happened to the fuel also happened in the pump and filter so check to see if it still works.
Bill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: