07 Cad CTS differential hum

Old 08-02-09, 03:40 PM
07 Cad CTS differential hum

We bought this car new in Nov of 07. It has 9400 miles on it and we are retired and just use it mostly locally.
My hearing is not all that good (use hearing aids), but I have heard differential whine from the get go. GM service seemed to dismiss it as normal. At first, it whined when loaded and then as it coasted downhill. Now it does it mostly at highway cruise speed.
I have never owned an automobile since 1949 that I remember having a noticeable whine. The noise is not harsh, but it does hum enough for my wife and I to notice.
Anyone out there had a similar problem with a CTS? Could this be a characteristic of this model? Mostly 45mph and above.
All comments appreciated and welcomed. Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-09, 05:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hello Tom.

Has the stealership looked at your angle gear? Sounds like it needs adjustment or replacement.

Old 08-02-09, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
gardener... I am absolutely NOT ragging on you..ok?

Its a what..40K-45K car? Make them fix it..make them make it right..make them fly in a real tech for your car....raise a stink...this is supposed to be a great car...don't let a dealer make it an annoyance. Ask to speak to the regional rep..do whatever you have to.

Ok..that said..if its a supercharged model..(I think they make those) you may be hearing that..but get an explanation..or drive the same model and see if you hear it.

Or..you could just sell it to me for $1000 or trade for my Suzuki..its really quiet...lol

Old 08-02-09, 06:31 PM
Give them hell gardner! Do not stop until you get a good explanation. The warranty is good at any Cadilliac dealer in the country, find another to go to. Like gunguy said, drive a similar make and model to see if it has the same noise. My dad has owned several front wheel drive cadilliacs over the years, and I do not remember ever hearing a diff. whine in any of them. Ask for a manager, call the 800 number in your owners manual, make some noise. Whatever you do keep all the repair orders from the dealership anytime you have them look at it. Good luck, and by the way those are great cars my dad has an 05.

Old 08-02-09, 07:43 PM
Oops!! I forgot to say that this model is rear wheel drive. Thanks for the comments and advice. Tom

Search this Thread