Tapping a new hole

Old 08-03-09, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tapping a new hole

Hi,

My father-in-law has a 1987 Firebird that he uses as a daily driver. About 3-6 months ago, he took it to his auto mechanic to have the power steering pump replaced. Upon getting the car back, they told him that the old bracket disintegrated in their hands and that they would have to send it off to have a new one fabricated. When he got the car back, it was making a squeaking noise, where the belt was squeaking. Turns out that they only put one bolt back into the power steering pump bracket, instead of two. I went to Lowe's to get a bolt for it, put it on, and it was working fine.

Now for the bad part. The tension from the serpentine belt keeps shearing the bolts on the power steering pump. I used stainless steel bolts, which I thought would be strong enough to hold. Apparently, it isn't. I have one of the bolts that I am able to get out of the block. It is a 10mm with a 1.50 thread pitch. The other one screwed into the water pump and is a 8mm with a 1.25 thread pitch. I am looking at removing the water pump, drilling the broken bolt out, re-tapping the hole, and putting a new bolt in. I have 2 taps, a 8mm with a 1.00 thread pitch and a 10mm with a 1.25 thread pitch. I was thinking of going with the 10mm with the 1.25 thread pitch, if possible.

What do some of you recommend? I would also like to use a stronger bolt, so it doesn't keep shearing them. My worst case scenario is that I would have to buy a new water pump and start from there. I want to try to avoid buying a new water pump, if at all possible.

Thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-09, 08:14 PM
You want grade 8 bolts which are the hardest grade generally available to the consumer.

Old 08-03-09, 08:17 PM
I would assume this is either a 5.0 or 5.7 Tuned port engine???

Ive faced this one before , and the bolts arent your problem...

Its hard to explain , so I propose this....Hit the local Junkyards with a digital camera.....Find 3 or 4 cars that match yours....(Camaro is close enough )....There will be something about the" bracketry" that is different from yours...., and twisting the pump out of alignment.....You will be able to pick out the bent broken or missing parts fairly easily...

There were Millions of "F" body cars out there from 85 into the 90's. Whats done is done , of course, But why fabricate something, when there is a wealth of SCRAP around for the picking????

As far as the bolt not being put in by the mechanic......3 answers

1-- Youre right and he didnt put it in...
2-- It didnt line up right , so he left it out, and you "Reinvented "an alignment problem by putting it back...or 3
3 It was misaligned and vibrated out......

Old 08-04-09, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by spdavid View Post
You want grade 8 bolts which are the hardest grade generally available to the consumer.
In reply to your quote, when I replaced the 10mm x 1.50 bolt, it was a Grade 8 bolt, and it got sheared off as well.