I noticed lots of smoke and an awful smell coming from my front right wheel of m

Old 08-05-09, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question I noticed lots of smoke and an awful smell coming from my front right wheel of m

Hi Everyone, Thanks in advance for any help, advice or tips. Yesterday, stopped at a red light I noticed lots of smoke and an awful smell coming from my front right wheel of my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I pulled over and the front right wheel area was hot and smoky for a while. After it cooled down I was able to drive it home. Do you think this was a locked caliper? If so, once that happens can it unlock by itself? You can look into the brake drum through the hubcaps and see it smooth on the left side but scrapped on the right side along the outer part of the drum. Does that mean the brake locked up? If not for the smell and smoke, I did not notice any thing else wrong. I did not notice car pulling or brakes grabbing or anything. Thanks, Katie

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-09, 10:43 AM
Hi Katie,

I think you are on the right track in that it probably is a brake problem. Your Jeep has disc brakes in front and a sticky caliper could cause what you describe. Typically though, if a caliper is locking up this bad it there would be some pulling to one side. When were the brakes last serviced?

Old 08-05-09, 12:44 PM
Serviced 18 months ago. I drove only a few miles today and they seemed ok??

Old 08-05-09, 12:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 26 Posts
A bad brake hose can also cause a lock-up, so that's something to keep in mind, too.

Old 08-05-09, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You need to go back and get them checked...it could have warped the rotors, compromised the fluid due to the heat..poss other things.

Might be a problem with the master cylinder or ABS (if equipped).

Not sure what you meant about left side and right side though....it really needs to be looked at by a mechanic. At the minimum, they should replace the brake fluid and do a visual inspection of the system.