95 VW Jetta front differential

Old 08-05-09, 07:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
95 VW Jetta front differential

Howdy!! I posted a thread related to this question, but a different question about it. Is it possible to just change the differential that is going south instead of the transmission? I am asking this because the car runs fine otherwise and figured that it would cost a LOT less than a transmission in parts and labor. Just made me wonder and thank you much for any input folks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-09, 12:23 AM
I don't belive you will find a shop to do it but if you want to DIY it is possiable. A bit of a pain but yes, you do have to disassemble the trans. thus why a shop probably won't touch it(too much labor involved and might as well rebuild it), too bad its not the rear one you could just disconnect the d/line and let that one free wheel. If you do DIY flush the trans good and drain the converter flush the cooler and lines ect ect. There are a lot of specifacations that need to be right on those German cars or the trans won't work after.
Good Luck

Old 08-06-09, 09:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That is about 4 steps above my level of incompetence, thank you for explaining it to me. Right now I am leaning toward finding another vehicle and driving this one to the local auto recycling center and sell it to them for the weight. My roommate and neighbors would probably freak if I parted it out in the driveway after it finally does die.