additive

Old 08-06-09, 12:35 PM
additive

Hello
The book says no fuel additives but these days the gas is questionable.
I used to put Techron in the tank and run it to 1/4 tank before an oil change as I read you don't want to contaminate the oil with fuel additives[although I don't see how that can happen].
I figure that way the engine, especially the fuel injectors, are cleaned from the possible low quality gas going around.
We are taking an eight hour trip - is it a good or bad idea to put Techron in before we leave as it will do its thing and be gone in a day. But still, don't want to damage seals etc. It is a 2007 Corolla. When they wrote the book, the gas probably was a better quality and good gas actually helped the engine.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-09, 12:50 PM
gasoline quality is well monitored and stiff penalties are levied against distributors that monkey around. base stock gasoline is piped all over the country...distributor's from my area all get their gas at the same depot in Richmond, VA...what makes one brand different from another is the additives that a distributor puts in at the depot. detergents are required by federal law...but other things (ethanol for one) are not. so there is some, albeit minor really, difference in gasolines but they are all required to add detergents...hence the rec from the manufacturer that you use no additional stuff in your tank. aftermarket additives used too often or in too big a concentration can attack fuel system components and cause a host of difficult to diagnose performance problems.

Old 08-06-09, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
carguy...
A little off the subject...but you said ethanol is NOT required? I thought that was the "oxygenated" part that is required in some areas for air quality and such?

peterr..
An occasional tank of good quality (Shell, Chevron..whatever is in your area) will probably do as much as the additive. Do a search for "top tier" gasoline. Some people say it makes no difference..but I've seen a change in some cars I've owned by switching gas. Now that could have had something to do with bad tanks or contamination..etc at cheaper places, I dunno.

As carguy said..we had a refinery where I lived in VA as well, and different trucks went in and came out..but its all about the blends of what they got...little more of this..little more of that. I have to say though..there has to be a reason why one station can be $.10 less than another.

Old 08-06-09, 01:24 PM
peterr I have found using the premium gas works the best and for injectors being clean try some berrymans at most walmarts I know the premium cost a little more but keeps fuel system very CLEAN thanks todd

Old 08-06-09, 02:06 PM
additives

Hello again
I read a comprehesive article about the use of Techron and the author said he used it at oil chages although his Nissan manuel says not to. I wish I could cite the article for you.
I have concluded not to use it and try to get gas from decent places. Route 95 up and down the coast scares me but, as you say, they are monitored.
If I had a problem that appeared to be fuel injectors, perhaps a can of something like Techron might be a conservative approach. It would be a penny or 2 less than fuel injector work.
Thank you for the opinions.

Old 08-06-09, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When my wife first started driving new cars I also questioned where it says in the manuals not to use any fuel additives. What all I could gather from all the different sources and opinions is the main reason the book says not to use it is because while it's in the fuel system the car might not pass a pollution test. I also heard that regular use might shorten the life of the cat convertor.

I've gone back to using a fuel cleaning additive at every oil change and have not noticed any negative effects in over 200k miles [3 different vehicles] Using high test does seem to counter the effects of dirty injectors and valves but an additive is a lot cheaper

I know there can be small differences in quality between brands of fuel but IMO there is more danger in getting a tank of gas w/water than anything else.

Old 08-06-09, 03:16 PM
additives

I think you have a point.
I don't see any harm in a good additive every 15K or so and using a higher grade gas every now and then. Modertion -?

Old 08-08-09, 08:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure if it applies to other makes of vehicles but VW's run the best on Mobil, can't explain it. I have put in Sunoco and my mpg dropped by 5 over the course of 4 tanks of gas and my driving patterns do not change very much. The car ran like what is found in the litterbox the one time I put Getty into it. On the gas door, my car says 87 min, 93 recommended. The car is much happier on the high test. If anyone here has a BJ's membership, the gas there is normally Mobil at least in my area.

Old 08-08-09, 09:56 AM
octane

My Corolla manuel says to use 87 oct.
I think as a car ages if you hear ping you might have to move up.
Every now and then I put a higher octane in.

I was wondering if anyone ever heard of Risilone.
It used to be used by companies like the electric or gas company to keep them running ok instead of manually breaking down parts to clean them.
I don't know about these days.

Old 08-08-09, 11:39 AM
Hello Nightowlpunk, and Peterr I work alot in Europe,and drive all the stuff over there you can find at an airport Hertz, and pretty much all gasoline European engines are designed to run on at least 93 octane, though half the cars on the road use turbo diesel power these days. In fact 93 is usually the lowest grade level you can buy over there. Many people use 95 or higher, especially in Germany. No matter how they recalibrate their export models, I would guess that 93 octane is the lowest they should ever run on before performance and other issues arise. We tried to run our Saab 93 on 87 for a tank and quickly went back. Toyota engines are not in the same boat. They are calibrated for the U.S., though at least at one time they used to be a difference between their California products and those for the other states. I used to own a 92 Camry and once the injectors started acting up, and the engine started running rough with stalling, I ran a bottle of injector cleaner through it and bingo, all was good again. It passed the emission test afterward also. I kept running with it every 3 months after that and for the next 2 years it kept passing the test. When I sold it with 180,000 it still ran good.

Old 08-08-09, 04:33 PM
Use TOP TIER GAS and don't worry about additives!

Use Top Tier gas and you won't have to be concerned with additives. The additional additive package in Top Tier gas DOES clean up the fuel system. Top Tier refers only to the additive package and NOT the octane rating.
Top Tier Gasoline

Old 08-09-09, 08:37 AM
Surprised not to see Mobil on that list.

Old 08-09-09, 09:04 AM
The list had some suprises for me too! I worked for 33 years for General Motors Product Service Engineering and in that time I have seen some very dirty fuel delivery systems from questionable additive packages in gasoline! The minimum additive package just doesn't get the job done. I have seen TOP TIER gas, when used on a regular basis, clean up some very dirty systems. TOP TIER is all that I use in my vehicles.

Old 08-09-09, 09:32 AM
additives

That list also took me back. I wonder about jobbers putting a fuel in a station no longer owned by a company but the sign has not yet been removed.
I have concluded to try to go to these top tier stations and every 15K put a can of Techron in the car prior to my oil change.

Old 08-09-09, 12:21 PM
Very few if any of the stations are near me, and my car is very happy on Mobil, so I will keep using it, even though I hate the way they raise prices after declaring record profits.

Old 08-10-09, 10:25 AM
SLJ...seen the same thing but i've also seen clean engines/fuel systems that don't use top tier fuels...driving habits also play a role in overall maintenence outcomes. short trip driving is devastating in terms of crud...nuff said.

as far as additives go, the comments in this thread are very good. I don't use top tier gasoline, but my car almost always gets run long enough to reach full operating temperature which helps keep things clean. Personally, I view additives as a waste of money.

Old 08-10-09, 11:27 AM
Hey CarGuy, I haven't heard from you in a long while! I am sure your comments about driving habits figure into the equasion. I don't have any contacts any more in the GM Fuel and Lubricants Group or maybe I could add to your comments. I too view additives as a waste of money unless you have a very specific problem that a specific additive is designed to address, and in those cases, if the vehicle had been properly maintained with quality fuels and lubricants you likely wouldn't be having a problem! I do believe that the additonal additives in pump gasoline do help alot of vehicles and I do search out Top Tier stations when I travel. I really haven't done a price comparison on Top Tier Vs. Non Top Tier gasoline so I really don't know if I am paying a premium for Top Tier but to be frank with you, I really don't care if there is a slight premium! I can afford it. I have had customers with a crudded up system from driving habits/cheap gasoline that used a couple tanks of Top Tier and the results were remarkable!

Old 08-19-09, 04:02 PM
I would not waste any money putting any additives in any vehicle period. If the manufacturers wanted you to use something they would try and sell it to you. Gas stations will not pump gas with water in it because the tanks have water protection devices in them. Your oil turns black from fuel entering the oil, so dont put anything else in there that can do more harm than good.

Old 08-21-09, 06:42 PM
Techron

I worked with a high line manufacture for 40 years. At the time Techron was released I was running a chassis dyno and trying to resolve running issues. As a part of my equipment I had a bore scope the included a 35 mm camera to document conditions inside of engine top ends and the effects of carbon on performance. Techron works really well at removing carbon from anything it might stick to, by removing carbon the running issue was commonly resolved. Chevron fuel comes with Techron as a part of the mixture. I know other manufactures have additives as well but I am familiar with the effects of Techron and still use Chevron fuels.
Bill

Old 08-22-09, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Tijoe View Post
I worked with a high line manufacture for 40 years. At the time Techron was released I was running a chassis dyno and trying to resolve running issues. As a part of my equipment I had a bore scope the included a 35 mm camera to document conditions inside of engine top ends and the effects of carbon on performance. Techron works really well at removing carbon from anything it might stick to, by removing carbon the running issue was commonly resolved. Chevron fuel comes with Techron as a part of the mixture. I know other manufactures have additives as well but I am familiar with the effects of Techron and still use Chevron fuels.
Bill
I too am familar with TECHRON testing under dyno and actual use circumstances and agree fully with your comments!

Search this Thread