2005 cvpi

Old 08-07-09, 05:39 PM
2005 cvpi

Hey all, I recently purchased a 2005 CVPI that I am going to use to go to school. It has no locking or latching rods (not sure if that is the right name for them) in the rear doors to lock and open them from inside. Also, the electric door locks are disabled (from the factory). I was wondering, would it be possible to go to a salvage yard and try to find the rods and install them myself, or would it be better go to the Ford dealership and have them do it for $120? (money that I really do not have :P) Also, how do I re-enable my electric door locks? All the wiring is there, but it does not work. Is there just a fuse unplugged or something?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-09, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Durad...not sure exactly what a CVPI is? Are you in the US..or did you just have the fingers 1 key off?

Old 08-07-09, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Durad...not sure exactly what a CVPI is? Are you in the US..or did you just have the fingers 1 key off?
Oh, sorry. It means Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. Yeah, I am from the US.

Old 08-07-09, 10:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You probably would have to buy the whole latching assembly if not the door itself at a salvage yard. Most doors should cost less than the $120. Is the $120 per door? As to the locks, did you check your fuses? If you never use the back seat, you could use a nylon tiedown strap normally used for holding things in place in a truck to strap the doors together through the armrests. If you do it too tightly, you might break the armrests. Hope this helps.

Old 08-08-09, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
You probably would have to buy the whole latching assembly if not the door itself at a salvage yard. Most doors should cost less than the $120. Is the $120 per door? As to the locks, did you check your fuses? If you never use the back seat, you could use a nylon tiedown strap normally used for holding things in place in a truck to strap the doors together through the armrests. If you do it too tightly, you might break the armrests. Hope this helps.
It would be $120 for the rods for both doors. The doors latch, you just cannot open them from the inside. I checked my fuses and everything seemed to be in order. I don't know a heck of a lot about cars, and even less about electric stuff though, so I am not sure.

Old 08-08-09, 08:19 AM
You might not be able to since it was a police car. Did you check the side of the door when it is open for the child safety lock? Just an idea and it would be a lot easier than going to the dealer if that was the problem. As to the power locks I am clueless for your car.

Old 08-08-09, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
You might not be able to since it was a police car. Did you check the side of the door when it is open for the child safety lock? Just an idea and it would be a lot easier than going to the dealer if that was the problem. As to the power locks I am clueless for your car.
lol, that was the first thing that I did actually. :P I took the panel off the door and saw that the rods are missing. Other than that everything looks like it is in order. I was just wondering if it would be better to try to find the rods at a salvage yard and install them myself or pay for the Ford dealer to do it. I don't have much experience working with vehicles, and nothing like this.

Old 08-08-09, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
If you can find a donor car and its intact..then you can take a picture of the interior of the door to put it together in yours.

That said..$120 seems pretty cheap for parts and opening/repairing/closing up 2 doors.

If its set up for electric locks (buttons and wiring) but they aren't working..yeah check all your fuses..but it could be just a relay pulled out somewhere as well.

Old 08-08-09, 08:46 AM
If you can find a donor car and its intact..then you can take a picture of the interior of the door to put it together in yours.

That said..$120 seems pretty cheap for parts and opening/repairing/closing up 2 doors.

If its set up for electric locks (buttons and wiring) but they aren't working..yeah check all your fuses..but it could be just a relay pulled out somewhere as well.
k, I am gonna go down to the salvage yard in an hour (since I need to get a wheel there as well) and look into it. I will tell you what I can find.
Please forgive my total ignorance, but what is a relay? :P If that is what it is, how would I find it and fix it?

Old 08-08-09, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
It's normally just a small plastic componant bout the size of 2 dice or so. May be plugged into the fuse box (you probably have 2 fuse boxes, 1 in the cab, 1 under the hood), or a part of the wiring harness somewhere.

It may not matter, but what engine do you have...? Autozone has some wiring diagrams at their site...I'll see if yours is in there.

Old 08-08-09, 09:03 AM
It's normally just a small plastic componant bout the size of 2 dice or so. May be plugged into the fuse box (you probably have 2 fuse boxes, 1 in the cab, 1 under the hood), or a part of the wiring harness somewhere.

It may not matter, but what engine do you have...? Autozone has some wiring diagrams at their site...I'll see if yours is in there.
4.6L Grand Marquis V8
Thanks!

Old 08-08-09, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
They have a diagram...looks like no sort of relay. I'd guess it may be as simple as a fuse or connector unplugged. Of course, thats if you have the actual acuators and stuff in the doors.

Are the lock/unlock switches lighted at night?

Old 08-08-09, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
Ok...the 20 amp fuse for the electric locks is in the battery junction box...just behind the battery in the engine compartment. Cant tell you which one..should have a chart in the cover.

Old 08-08-09, 09:15 AM
Ok...the 20 amp fuse for the electric locks is in the battery junction box...just behind the battery in the engine compartment. Cant tell you which one..should have a chart in the cover.
No, none of the lights on the door are lit. It is wired so that no inside lights come on when you open the door. Also, when you turn the lights the door lights do not come on. It only has numbers and writing that says to consult my manual. The problem is that the car did not come with a manual. :P

Old 08-08-09, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Hang loose...I found more info. I swear there is more info at autozone on these cars then on any I've ever looked up...lol

Old 08-08-09, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Hmmm ok...check to make sure you have a fuse in the F9 position inside the cab..should be 7.5A.

Its hard to read some of these diagrams..and I'm no Pro Ford mech. It almost looks like you have some sort of electronic control module that can control the locks..but that may be a terminology thing. If I AM reading it right..removing that would appear to cause all the issues you have...I can't be sure. I'll keep looking and post back if I find anything...

May want to get a Chiltons or Haynes repair manual while yer out..only about $16 if they have the one you need.

Old 08-08-09, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Also check F19 inside cab, should be a 10A.

At Battery Fuse box in engine area check F13 should be a 20A.

Thats about all I've got for ya for now.....

Old 08-08-09, 04:31 PM
I'm sporting an 03 cvpi i bought at a town auction.
The back doors I just had to reconnect the links and it was ok.

How cool is it that people move over when they see you coming.

Old 08-09-09, 05:52 AM
Also check F19 inside cab, should be a 10A.

At Battery Fuse box in engine area check F13 should be a 20A.

Thats about all I've got for ya for now.....
Ok, I will check that tomorrow. I gotta go to church today, then I have an outing with my family.

Originally Posted by risoworker View Post
I'm sporting an 03 cvpi i bought at a town auction.
The back doors I just had to reconnect the links and it was ok.

How cool is it that people move over when they see you coming.
I love it. I see people's brake lights come on when I approach in the other lane. :P The naughty speeders. :P

Old 08-09-09, 08:22 AM
98% of us are members of that particular tribe.