Car not starting!

Old 08-08-09, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Car not starting!

Help!

My Renault Clio 2002 1.2 16v car was working fine until yesterday when it sounded like the battery had gone. Battery was replaced today but it still won't start. Tried bumping the car and tried using jump leads but still it won't start. Lights and electric window still work. Can anyone help?

Thanks in anticipation!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-09, 11:55 AM
That little car coming from Europe may have some kind of anti-theft imobilizer that needs to be computer reset when the battery is pulled. Not sure about a 2002 Clio, but in the 90's if I can remember, the stuff sold in Europe had that requirement. These days most of the French cars I have driven there use plastic cards with imbedded chips that slide into the dash, with start buttons to crank them over. Back a few years ago, most of the radios also had theft codes that needed to be reprogrammed by a dealer. You may run into that issue too after disconnecting the battery unless they subbed the radio with a N.A. version. Hope they did. They had to put all this technology in them to keep them from rolling without permission across borders into the eastern block countries.

Old 08-08-09, 12:08 PM
Thanks that's good info. After replacing the battery do you know how to re-set the imobilizer? I have a Haynes Manuel but doesn't mention anything about re-setting the imobilizer.

Thanks

Old 08-08-09, 03:11 PM
Sorry I don't. I had it happen to me once on an Opel product in Germany and I had to give it to the dealer to sort out. I just did my Saab 93 battery but it had a different system, and all I needed to do was reset the alarm with the key fob. It could also be something else typical also along the lines of what could happen to any N.A. product too. No gas, no spark, bad starter or wiring etc. diagnosis stuff. I mentioned it because this is something that many not familiar with some euro differences ( at least how they were sold over there) would ever think about, and it could be worth checking it out before you get into all the other potential causes that people think about with Fords or Chevys for instance. What made me think about this cause was that I was guessing that the car would not even turn over, rather than just not fire up, and that along with a bad battery and disconnect this could be what is happening. Did the car turn over at all before you pulled the battery? Is there any euro web site in English perhaps from the U.K. that could provide more details? Renault sold quite a few of them, or similar models in England I think, and the Brits likely have a forum just like this. Sorry I can't help you more, but while at one time I did work for GM in Europe (Opel/Vauxhall) on the mfg side of the business, I never got really much involved in alot of this unique to Europe technology. I will also surf around U.K sites and see if I can find anything out.

Old 08-08-09, 03:16 PM
I forgot to ask. Is your Clio something you imported yourself, meaning was it built to a euro spec?

Old 08-08-09, 04:12 PM
I found this website: 2001 Renault Clio Imobilizer light in dash It states: if the 4 digit code is not working the car will need to be plugged into a renault diagnostic computer or equivalent to be reset .. If your car uses a Key Fob and has a red light on the dash there are other things you can try. Just go through the links below. The last one may be the most help.

Another link I found for you:
Test for Renault Key/Immobiliser failures (emergency recode)

Another site from the U.K. It says take it to a Renault dealer who has the right computer. Have a look at some of the answers. Renault Clio immobiliser not working!?!? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

One other site you might check out. It is a Renault Owners Forum. Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - FAQ

One last site that tells you a different way to sort it out: Renault Help - Car Immobiliser Bypass

Best of luck if this turns out to be your problem.

Old 08-09-09, 12:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Doughnut_Sam_F View Post
Help!

My Renault Clio 2002 1.2 16v car was working fine until yesterday when it sounded like the battery had gone. Battery was replaced today but it still won't start. Tried bumping the car and tried using jump leads but still it won't start. Lights and electric window still work. Can anyone help?

Thanks in anticipation!
Why did you feel the need to use jumpers with the new battery? Wasn't it cranking over fast enough? If not - why? Did you crank it a real long time and the battery wore down? If it did not wear down, why the jumpers?

Normally if a car even tries to crank, it is not going to be something with say a car security syestem or key chip or anything like that, if it remotely makes the attempt to crank. Please be specific on when the car 'does not start', as to what you are infering about it's crankability. That be most helpful.