reset "check engine" light on my legacy

Old 08-11-09, 07:14 PM
reset "check engine" light on my legacy

i got a 93 legacy (non-turbo) for a song because it had a few things aethseticly wrong with it and one main mechanical problem, the check engine light is on. since it is not '96 or newer there are no free diagnostics at any of my local auto parts stores. i concluded that it is most likely the 02-sensor since everything operates as it should. well, 90 dollars and a crawl under the engine proved to be a waste of money and time because the light is still lit.

was i wrong?

there's only one (free) way to find out and that is to reset the check engine light. i've disconnected the battery and the light is still ablaze. is there another way to reset it? would it have reset itself if the problem was fixed? it's a great car but if i cannot DEQ it than it's no good to me.

as always tryin'a save a buck,
mikiel

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-09, 05:04 AM
Group Moderator
If you can't get the light to go out there's probably still a problem otherwise the battery disconnect would have reset it and yes, the light would eventually turn itself off if the problem went away.

A lot of OBD-I stuff can be DIY-read for codes. I checked and the Suburu is a little more involved than some other models, but is do-able. Here's how:

Troublcodes.net Trouble Codes OBD & OBD2 Trouble Codes and Technical info & Tool Store. By BAT Auto Technical

If we're lucky a Suburu pro will stop by with more info.