1964 Oldsmobile

Old 08-12-09, 08:58 PM
1964 Oldsmobile

Hello readers.I would appreciate any feedback.
I just fired up a 1964 Oldsmobile that had been sitting around for a fews years and these are the symptoms.
I finally got the car to fire up and it seems to be revving at an accelerated rate when it is first started.After a few minutes of running(I guess after it warms up),the engine starts to sputter and there a faint knock in the engine.
I would like for it operate at a smooth,steady rpm once it is warmed up.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-09, 06:12 AM
On a 64 the choke/ fast idle is probably stuck on. The knock is more of a problem.

That could be coming from the rods or main bearings on the crank. I would run an oil flush through it and put at least a 10w40 in it. If you still have the knock try a 20w50, which is heavier than recommended but you need to quiet the knock.

If you still have it and want to keep the engine in one piece think about a tear down. Once you commit to that you may as well do a major on it if the car is considered to be worth the money invested.

Old 08-13-09, 06:35 AM
Why was it retired in the first place? This may give a clue as to what problems it presently has.

I agree that you may be looking at a complete teardown of the engine. Many classic cars are now restored from the ground up.

Old 08-13-09, 07:49 PM
Long story.I started restoring the car about 10 years ago and due to uncontrollable reasons,I had stopped.Well,this year I have the time and money to finish it.So I resumed and now close to finishing the restoration.But I'm an amateur and really enjoying the project as I go.
When I start the car after it sits overnight,It'll start right up at an accelerated rate.But there's no knock.After it warms up,its starts sputtering and almost wants to die.Thats when I hear a faint knock.
Could it be the timing?
I think I'm going to check the carburetor and check the linkage and vacuum lines.
Thanks for your comments

Old 08-14-09, 06:43 AM
Yes, check with the basics... starting with timing.

The knocking you hear is probably part of the sputtering it does. I remember hearing a similar noise when my cars used to "diesel".

Carburators are now such a memory now that people have forgotten that they operate in high idle mode when cold, and only settle to a more manageable idle speed when warmed up. The cold idle speed should be roughly 1500 rpm. If it's faster, I'd check the carburator and make sure it's set to specs, and look for vacuum leaks.