Chrome Valve Stem cap won't come off!

Old 08-13-09, 04:58 AM
Chrome Valve Stem cap won't come off!

2008 Infiniti G35X w/ std 17" wheels. 35K miles, just replace all 4 tires yesterday, and the mechanic couldn't get one of the valve stem caps off. They are the chrome stem and chrome cap, and the tire pressure sensor is attached inside the wheel. He didn't want to force it in fear of breaking the sensor. He put 3 tires on and advised I go to the dealer as it is still under warranty. I have a feeling the dealer will admonish me for not servicing regularly (other than oil changes) and tell me there's nothing he can do. Has anyone had this happen, what can I try? When I try to turn the cap, the inner stem moves as well, and I don't know if the cap will come loose first or the sensor will break first. I tried a little WD-40 yesterday, but didn't seem to help.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-09, 03:52 PM
...Happens all the time......

a cigarette lighter to the valve cap may loosen the corrosion, and allow you to remove it without severe damage.....But , if the cap wont come off....The valve core is certainly going to have the same issue...

The caps are NOT supposed to be mettalic, for this reason.....If they are factory caps..then yes by all means visit the dealer.....If you put them on...Sorry youre out of luck....

On a lighter note........What is wrong inside the skull of your tire guy????.....Unscrew the "Ferrule nut" , and push the sensor into the tire......That will let the air out.....Dismount the tire, install the new one, and use a plain old rubber stem...... Put the sensor in a ziplock bag , and give it back to you... All 4 tires that you paid for are on the vehicle.....and you can go to the dealer at your leisure and fight with them.......

Dont play with it anymore by yourself......if the stem breaks, the tire will go flat, and you will be stuck dead in the water....

Old 08-13-09, 06:50 PM
Caps are factory-installed.

I sprayed a little more WD-40 on the cap today, and let it sit an hour. Tried gingerly to move the cap unsucessfully. Sprayed more WD-40 and waited. Tried again. Was able to slightly tighten the cap. Then was able to turn the cap maybe 1/16th of an inch. delicately turned the cap back and forth, WD-40, back and forth, and it finally came off. No damage done. Went back to the tire store and had tire put on. Core came right out, all is ok. Now have 4 rubber caps. The guy who put the tire on today said he didn't tighten the cap all the way, so it wouldn't get stuck again....except that was the plastic cap!!

Good point about the ferrel nut, but in hindsight, I am glad he didn't pop out the sensor, this could also have damaged it and the dealer is an hour drive north. Tire guy is 20 minutes.

If I decide to put the metal caps back on, I will make sure to remove them every few months and clean them off - may as well check the air pressure too!!!

Old 08-13-09, 06:53 PM
Caps are factory-installed.

I sprayed a little more WD-40 on the cap today, and let it sit an hour. Tried gingerly to move the cap unsucessfully. Sprayed more WD-40 and waited. Tried again. Was able to slightly tighten the cap. Then was able to turn the cap maybe 1/16th of an inch. delicately turned the cap back and forth, WD-40, back and forth, and it finally came off. No damage done. Went back to the tire store and had tire put on. Core came right out, all is ok. Now have 4 rubber caps. The guy who put the tire on today said he didn't tighten the cap all the way, so it wouldn't get stuck again....except that was the plastic cap!!

Good point about the ferrel nut, but in hindsight, I am glad he didn't pop out the sensor, this could also have damaged it and the dealer is an hour drive north. Tire guy is 20 minutes.

If I decide to put the metal caps back on, I will make sure to remove them every few months and clean them off - may as well check the air pressure too!!!

Thanks.

Old 08-14-09, 04:04 PM
Removing the feerrule nut and pushing the sensor in doesnt hurt anything.... Actually, Ive had bad experiences with "Bead Breaking" the tire with the sensor installed. so I usually just push them in anyway. When you dismount the tire, just reach in and scoop it out.