01 grand am security sys.

Old 08-13-09, 06:50 AM
01 grand am security sys.

Two times in the last week the security light blinks car won't start unless I wait ten min. for it to reset. My key was made years ago at a hardware store. My wife has a factory key and a fob. She said the security light came on solid on her way home two days ago. It started with no problem for her tho. last night I went on an errand w/my key and once again I had to wait for reset. I don't think either key has a chip. Any idea where to start. Keyswitch?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-09, 10:15 AM
Yes, that is where I would start. The Grand Am blog sites are full of this very same problem. I had to replace the ignition switch last year on our 2002 Grand Am. Cost me $500 at a dealer. I think there were alot of ignition switch electrical problems with both the Grand Am and others like the Impala during those years.

Old 08-13-09, 04:10 PM
Yes your key is chipped....

The problem is most likely the transponder ring around the cylinder. Not reading the key code properly....Which can lead into PCM not processing the data Properly....which can lead into...etc..etc..etc..

I usually dont discourage The DIY crowd.....But in certain cases It is best left to a knowledgeable and competent Professional....

Problem is.....Unless the tech actually experiences your symptom for himself, there is little to nothing that can be done about it... Doing this on your own, can be quite expensive, as you cant verify an issue without special tools and equipment....When the 500$ ignition cylinder doesnt fix it, and the 900$ computer now costs you 160 $ to program..plus the tow bill to the dealership,and that didnt fix it.. ..Its almost definite that you will actually save some cash , by having it professionally diagnosed and fixed from the onset....

Old 08-13-09, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. I don't want to wait for her to get stuck somewhere even tho it seems to only be my key Oh well!

Old 08-17-09, 05:17 PM
I have been working as a master tech for a pontiac dealer for five years now and your key is not!!! chipped, your grand am has a pass lock 2 system, the security is a fixed resistor in the lock cylinder, the most common problem is a b2960 bcm code which fixed by replacing the pass lock sensor ( ignition cylinder assm) the pass lock sensor glitches causing your fuel enable signal to be incorect , this why you have to do a ten minute relearn to start it

Old 08-17-09, 05:19 PM
the transponder system talked about is a pk-3 system not found grand am's, for around 250$ you could have this code read and ignition cylinder replaced