98 civic LX cuts off while I'm driving

Old 08-19-09, 06:51 PM
98 civic LX cuts off while I'm driving

First I should tell you that I only have this problem when it's hot out. I started having problems with my car stalling at the end of last summer but it wasn't often and then didn't happen all winter. It's been a constant problem all of this summer.

Usually my car will start fine in the morning and I make it the 15 minute drive to work. Whether it sits in the sun all day or in the shade it tends to start up and then shut right off like 3 times before I can get going in the afternoon. Then when I'm driving it will just shut off. The other morning it wouldn't start at all. I heard it trying to turn over and then it just gave up.

I have been to autozone for diagnostic testing but it's not giving a code and the check engine light is not on. I was told a few months ago that it may be a problem with the main relay switch so I replaced that and we were good for about a week. The guy at autozone told me that it may be a problem with the idle air control valve. It sounds like there are some things I can check myself to see if that's the problem but I don't know where to start.

I don't know if this is related but I've had a 97 civic and a 98 civic and both of them have threatened to stall when I come to a stop after driving above say 40mph.

Also, if I turn my AC on it shuts off more often.

Any advice you can give is helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-09, 08:10 PM
Problem Solved

There was a recall for the ignition switch and the problems it caused sound almost exactly like what's going on with my car. The best part is it will be fixed for free.

If you have the same problem contact your honda dealer with your VIN number and see if the part was recalled for your car or visit Hondas owner link.