fuel pump help

Old 08-24-09, 05:53 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking fuel pump help

I have a 86 chevy 1500 p/u 4x4 with a 305 in it. It is fuel injected.. It's a mud truck and I am wanting to take the gas tanks out and put one in the bed of the truck. I think it's been done. I want to use an inline Fuel pump so I can get rid of the stock tank.. I need to know the fuel pressure and if you have a part# or something that can help me. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-09, 06:04 AM
L
9 to 13 psi.

Good luck and have a great day

Old 08-25-09, 08:08 AM
R
Fuel press

An 86 should have a carb. injection came out in 87. If I remember right the tanks would accept either a regular fuel pickup or a elec. punp back then. For what its worth.

Old 08-25-09, 09:35 AM
C

It is 86 but I am sure it's throttle body injected (No Carb) And yes with a carb you can run a electric pump at 9-13 psi but with it being fuel injected I'm pretty sure it needs alot more psi than 13 psi for the injectors.. I have seen it done on tv before but I'm trying to do it on my truck.

Old 08-25-09, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
According to Autozone..unless you had an engine swap and it really is an '86, it should be a carb. As rw said..TBI came out in '87.

Old 08-25-09, 11:26 AM
C
Tbi

The title does say 87' It's TBI (Throttle Body Injected) I would like to put a fuel cell in the bed of the truck, and use an inline fuel pump, How much psi pump do I need, or if anyone has done this before with a 87 305 TBI please help

Old 08-25-09, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Shouldn't be that tough..though the pump may be a little pricy. Everything I've been able to find says 45 psi is about right. Tons of sites have EFI electric pumps for sale..Edelbrock is one brand..Marren also seems to have good info.

Hey duh..just realized..there is a truck, campers, rv..etc etc forum as well...you may want to post there. Maybe someone has done something lke this.

Old 08-25-09, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by chevy4wd View Post
It is 86 but I am sure it's throttle body injected (No Carb) And yes with a carb you can run a electric pump at 9-13 psi but with it being fuel injected I'm pretty sure it needs alot more psi than 13 psi for the injectors.. I have seen it done on tv before but I'm trying to do it on my truck.
If it has the stock T-Body....9 - 13 psi is on the money...... Anything above 30 psi would be for a port injected engine....

Just for reference, Dont EVER run 9 psi of fuel pressure to a carburetor!!!!!!!!...5 to 7 MAXIMUM on a stocker.....Even a heavily modified engine will not be able to swallow that much gas , without a return system in place.