seized engine inquiry

Old 08-24-09, 02:13 PM
seized engine inquiry

Took a 2000 Kia Sportage into the repair shop where the diagnosis by the main mechanic there is seized engine, something in the "lower end" he said. Without disassembing to determine specifically what the cause of the seizure is, his guess is that what he'll likely find when he does will probably be a seized rod bearing, but of course cannot know for sure until the engine is examined further. If it does in fact turn out to be a seized rod bearing, can/does such a condition occur due to anything other than neglected regular maintenance (oil changes specifically)? Reason I'm asking is because the extended warrantee company will be the ones to determine in the end whether the seized engine seized due to anything maintenance related and if so of course will not cover the repair, which in this case would be engine replacement. Any comments appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-09, 02:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Put the warranty company in the loop. Let them know, now, that there is a problem and it needs fixing. Waiting until later will only exacerbate the process. Engine seizures come from poor maintenance, inferior parts, bad luck, running the engine at 6000 rpm for too long, you name it.

Old 08-24-09, 02:53 PM
I just went thru this today at work......

According to the warranty company, A "Prudent Individual" would notice the loss of oil pressure as indicated by the warning lamp or gauge on the dash..If the gauge /lamp was inoperative, that should have been noted and repaired by the same "Prudent" individual.

There is also a matter of "Extent of physical internal damage"...which would have been Minimized, if / had Said "Prudent Individual" had not operated the vehicle while in a state of "Catastrophic Warning"....

A engine that is low on oil pressure or facing "Impending Failure " will most definitely let out some sort of tell tale warning....First and foremost would be the Noise of a bearing being hammered away....Which in most cases , can be repaired by oil pump , and crankshaft replacement....

Think......Just like you.....they have to make a living.....And their job is to spend the least amount of their money on your car as possible...... Simply put, if you ran it till it didnt run no more, Then you have technically been neglectful, and if ANY evidence of this neglect exists , No one is going to take responsibility for it.....

Just on a personal note.....Extended warranties are a WASTE OF YOUR MONEY.!!!!! Take the 2500$ and put it into a C/D, or High Interest account. and set it up so it is matured when the Factory warranty is about to expire......
Despite the popular MYTH.......These companies are not here to help YOU... they are here to run THEIR Business...

Old 08-24-09, 03:14 PM
Group Moderator
Well said, Unc; it's just another form of insurance and insurance companies are in the business to make money.

Old 08-24-09, 03:24 PM
FWIW,

My wonderful father allowed me to take his Jaguar out for the night to go to a concert with my girlfriend. On the interstate on the way home, the oil pressure light started flashing. About 1/8 mile later, the car engine through a rod threw the oil pan. Engine destroyed. Luckily it was under warranty. The point is, the oil light don't gotta be on long for catastrophic damage to occur.

Old 08-24-09, 04:28 PM
About 1/8 mile later,

In the eyes of a warranty company...That is technically 1/8 mile further than you should have driven it.....

When the big bucks come into play...these guys can be RUTHLESS...

Did you know in some states it is against "Protocol" for a company to include Consequential Damage........

Im sure your dad would have been upset if they handed you an oil pan and told you to have a NICE DAY

Old 08-24-09, 05:04 PM
Mark, I didn't know they made Jaguars back that long ago

Old 08-24-09, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Put the warranty company in the loop. Let them know, now, that there is a problem and it needs fixing. Waiting until later will only exacerbate the process. Engine seizures come from poor maintenance, inferior parts, bad luck, running the engine at 6000 rpm for too long, you name it.
The warranty company has been in the loop already for some time (over a month now the car has been sitting at the repair shop while we try to deal with them for this claim). Upon first diagnosis of seized engine, the warranty company asked whether there were any service records available. There were a few spotty records kept from past having to do with brake work, suspension work, timing belt replacement, and tune-up but no records kept/available for such things as regular oil changes as these were done by a do-it-yourselfer that neglected to keep such records/receipts. Warranty company said the records available would be better than nothing, so to send them, along with pictures of seized engine. After considerable haggling to determine what kind of pictures they were actually asking for specifically, it was finally made clear by them they wanted pictures of the engine part or parts that caused the failure. Tomorrow the shop will be pulling the engine and disassembling it to the point where they can see for sure what caused the engine seizure, then informing the warranty company of how/why they think it happened, and will be taking/sending pictures for the warranty company to see. The warranty company has already said if the reason turns out to be what they consider "maintenance related" then of course its not going to be covered. I know regardless of what happens the warranty outfit isn't gonna pay out anything, but it'll be at least somewhat interesting (and of course expensive; $400 bucks will be the shop charge for this) to find out what caused the engine seizure.

Old 08-24-09, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
, A "Prudent Individual" would notice

Extended warranties are a WASTE OF YOUR MONEY.!!!!! Despite the popular MYTH.......These companies are not here to help YOU.
Yeah Unc I know all that. It's my un-prudent brother-in-law's piece of crap worn out Kia that rarely got any regular preventative maintanance or attention until it would break down. I have no idea whether any idiot lights or warning signs occured before the engine seized on him. He was of course fooled into wasting his money on the extended warranty contract and then not even bothering to at least keep good service records in case he should need them. Probably didn't even take the time to ever read over the worthless contract.

Old 08-24-09, 10:35 PM
Some extended warranties are better than others but I referred to them as the hmo's of the car business. As for a seizure it could be from the top end as well and I have seen a front bushing in a transmission for the torque converter stop an engine in it's tracks. The proof and or diagnosis is on your head financially, if it's the engines fault you should be reimbursed, if not it's still your car.
Bill

Old 08-25-09, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by sgull View Post
Yeah Unc I know all that. It's my un-prudent brother-in-law's piece of crap worn out Kia that rarely got any regular preventative maintanance or attention until it would break down. I have no idea whether any idiot lights or warning signs occured before the engine seized on him. He was of course fooled into wasting his money on the extended warranty contract and then not even bothering to at least keep good service records in case he should need them. Probably didn't even take the time to ever read over the worthless contract.
From reading this post I get the feeling that if the drain plug is pulled out not much will come out. If some does it'll be dirty as hell. I think your BIL is going to have a big bill on his hands soon.

Old 08-25-09, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by AdRock View Post
From reading this post I get the feeling that if the drain plug is pulled out not much will come out. If some does it'll be dirty as hell. I think your BIL is going to have a big bill on his hands soon.

We'll soon be finding out. However, when the car was first brought into the shop they checked the dipstick and the oil level was fine and the oil was clean (an oil change just the week before this seizure). But yeah, I'm sure too that BIL will end up with big BILL, regardless.

Search this Thread