one front wheel locks during braking

Old 08-25-09, 08:16 AM
one front wheel locks during braking

Hello
My 1997 corolla 1.6 liter with 150,000 miles has recently been locking one front wheel in wet weather a bit too easily(not certain which)
The fluid levels are good and no leaks detected. the system was flushed about 1 year and 13,000 miles ago. i have had trouble locating the major possible causes for this condition. The pads are new all the way around and the car has been driven in a variety of conditions since the pads and fluid were changed. Correct and new fluid was used. The locking wheel is a recent problem. The flexy brake lines LOOK? Ok. the rotors(disks )appear true
What are the possible problems?? The vehicle manual lists a proportioning valve as a possible culprit.
Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-09, 04:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sticking caliper, either Slides or piston is most likely cause

Old 08-27-09, 08:07 AM
Pulling

At 150000 miles I would obviously inspect the calipers ability to move, if that were the problem I would pay attention to the side that doesn't grab during wet brake function as it is possible the one that grabs is the only one working. I would definately change the front brake flex hoses, you know about cholesterol plugging arteries well age has a similar effect on brake hoses.
Bill

Old 08-27-09, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
Sticking caliper, either Slides or piston is most likely cause
Take both fronts off and remove the pads.
Clean the calipers with Brake Kleen with a tooth brush.
Ensure the pins / sliders the calipers move on are clean, no nics, etc... use a 800 grit paper on that to clean them up.
Lube lightly with a high temp lithium on the pins.
Ensure the piston rubber seal is clean / good condition.
The caliper is sticking - no question.

Old 08-27-09, 11:16 AM
I would replace calipers on both sides. I personally replace brake parts rather than clean them up and try to make them work that way. $45 a piece and come with lifetime warranty seems the best way to go.

But that's one man's opinion

Old 08-27-09, 11:20 AM
Thumbs up

That is good advice too. Also, you would have to bleed the brake system fluid when doing this.
When I change my front pads, I always put new rotors on as well. Then all is new and good to go.

Old 08-30-09, 06:13 PM
My son had an '89 Camaro that did that, it got so bad that it would almost throw you into a hillside! After a master cylinder, checking the pads, replacing the caliper, of all things, it turned out to be a $9 brake hose! Apparently this is a common thing that until then I had never heard of. Apparently a rubber brake hose can collapse internally and it looks fine externally.

Now on my Toyota Tacoma, there are no rubber brake hoses, everything is solid. I'm not sure what you have on your car.

Old 08-30-09, 09:05 PM
HotRod53f100, you have to have some rubber hoses somewhere, or else a solid connection between the axles and the frame. Solid will not flex with the suspension. Rubber hoses are well know to collapse internally and should be replaced/inspected periodically to prevent just that problem.
Murphy was an optimist

Old 08-31-09, 06:38 PM
Speedwrench, I'm sure that you are correct about that. I am just suprised to see hard lines fron the A Arm to the caliper....makes it really hard to move the calpers out of the way.

My son's problem happened with the flex lines from the A Arm to the caliper. I guess by rights it could happen on any line in the system.

Old 09-01-09, 03:55 PM
Thanks all for your input
I been out of town at wedding and will put together your suggestions and tackle the brakes.