Who is responsible for incorrect valve adjustment at engine installation?

Old 08-26-09, 01:02 PM
Who is responsible for incorrect valve adjustment at engine installation?

I need warranty service on my remanufactured engine. It is about 14 months old. The mechanic listened to the engine and said the valves need adjustment. I have been hearing elusive valve sounds from the first month. I wrote down occurrences also. But I have been unable to reproduce the sounds for the mechanic till now.

The engine manufacturer won't authorize warranty service because they said it is a maintenance issue. Isn't the manufacturer respeonsible for incorrect valve adjustment? Or is the mechanic supposed to check valve adjustment when he installs the engine? Are valves liley to go out of adjustment in this short time.

Thanks,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-09, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
You could have kept this in the other thread...

Since yer not listing the type of engine..this is generic..

Valves should NEVER need adjustment on modern hydraulic lifter engines. I had a Honda with about 160K that never had valves adjusted, and theres a Mazda/Ford out front with 130k, no valve adjustments.

Now..a solid lifter 350 ci Chevy smallblock from the 60's? different story.

Old 08-26-09, 02:20 PM
The engine is a 2.9 V6 for a 92' Ford Ranger Supercab. So you're saying there should be no need for the mechanic to check the valves at engine installation?

Old 08-27-09, 06:21 AM
Noisy valves

Are the valves noisy, does it run poorly? It is your car so the noise is yours. The engine is over a year old as I understand it so it went a while without issue. If it is now noisy then something has changed and needs to be inspected. If you feel it may be a manufactures defect then have it inspected by the proper person, like the guy who installed it but be prepared as there may be charges not covered by the manufacture. After a year of satisfactory usage you cant expect the mechanic who installed it to work on it for free. Just my thoughts
Bill

Old 08-27-09, 09:06 AM
It runs well. The mechanic said he would adjust the valves for free (only will charge me for gasket) if I couldn't get the manaufacturer to cover it. He says it was probably not adjusted or done right at the factory. Valves on my make/model are adjustable. I am going to insist that the manufacturer cover it since I have heard intermittent noises for a long time