van has humming sound when driving

Old 08-28-09, 07:56 PM
van has humming sound when driving

I have a 98 ford windstar .It has developed a humming sound when in motion. Any ideas.Any input would be appreceated.Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-09, 08:14 PM
Could be a wheel bearing... Hard to say without more info... Does it change in intensity if you are @ a steady speed & start to go around a corner?? Does it sound like the front or back of the van,,, Left or right side of it,,, Hiway speed or just slow around town?? My bet is a wheel bearing,, now just find wich one it is!!!! Roger

Old 08-29-09, 07:49 AM
van has strange sound when driving

We just took it out for a drive and I set in back with the wings open.My wife said she didn't hear it now.I thought i heard a wining sound,couldn't detect where.She said it was coming from the front end and i thought it was coming from the back.What else is new! She could hear a pin drop in a steel plant. We're thinking tires.You can't feel anything strange while driving the van.I would think if it was separated steel belt you could feel it while driving ,either the steering or shimmey. What you think anyone?

Old 08-29-09, 07:54 AM
van has strange sound when driving

We just took it out for a drive and I set in back with the wings open.My wife said she didn't hear it now.I thought i heard a wining sound,couldn't detect where.She said it was coming from the front end and i thought it was coming from the back.What else is new! She could hear a pin drop in a steel plant. We're thinking tires.You can't feel anything strange while driving the van.I would think if it was separated steel belt you could feel it while driving ,either the steering or shimmey. What you think anyone?
I put the van on floor jack ,wheel by wheel of course. I did think i detected a little play in several wheels.Could it be they just aren't tight enough. I had the wheels balanced on the van a couple of weeks ago.I told the guy i didn't want them put on by power socket. He put them on with a tension wrench.He said 100 ft lbs. Any ideas would be greatly appreiatted.Thanks.

Old 08-29-09, 02:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Th guty did it the right way with the wrench. Most guts use air gun and than don't torque them. Are the tires cupped? A small wiggle could be bearing play or front parts loose.

Old 08-29-09, 04:53 PM
whining sound coming from van

I've heard the term cupped but what does it actually mean?I'm bad. I am reading up on the rear hubs and it sounds doable for me but when it comes to steering i don't believe in messing around. I'm not sure i know enough to trust myself on this project.If i have the tire shop do it ,i suppose they will say i better replace all the bearings to be safe. I can't tell which one it is,if it is a bearing.I think it is too.Thanks for your help.

Old 08-30-09, 04:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Jack up a tire and run your hand over the thread, If you feel bumps or see bumps thats the cups. Hopefully not there. A rear tire you should either spin it by hand and listen for rough noises or turn it and feel if there is roughness. Rear tire should turn smooth with no roughness. Front tire has more connected and can't check that way. This test only works when the bearing is very bad.

Old 08-30-09, 08:54 AM
whining or humming sound coming from van

I really can't tell if it is a whining or a humming sound coming from the van,but it seems to have lessened.
T took off the wheels last night and sprayed the hubs with loosening oil and then put them back on with a torque wrench at least 100 ft lbs to make sure they were tight. My van also squeeks alot when braking at first then its ok.The brakes don't seem to be wearing badly at all in my opinion.I have not replaced the rear brakes since most people say that the front brakes do 75% of the work and the front brakes were not bad at all.I've repaced the front brakes once already.I put new asbestos brakes back on,but i still have the old pads i took off and they are the expensive porcelain kind and i took them to autozone and they said they agreed with me that they were ok.I think I'm going to put the old ones back on and put the anti=sqweel stuff all over the contact points.Do you think that is a good idea?
I have also read on here that some people are having trouble with their calipers on the model ford.I really don't think i'm having that bad of a problem.I think this is my 3rd set of brake pads. i don't think that is that bad,maybe i'm wrong.

Old 08-30-09, 04:38 PM
whining or humming on the van

I just thought of something.Is it ok to put the old disc pads back on? They may not be put on the same wheel that they come off of. Like it said they are in good shape and porcelain. When i bought the new pads it was because these old pads were screeching, but i may not have had enough ani-sqweel stuff on them and in the wright places.I just put a couple of dabs on the back side of each.This time i thought i'd put alot more on.

Old 08-30-09, 04:59 PM
What I have done in the past was to put a piece of 220 or 320 sand paper on a nice flat surface like a smooth concrete floor. Place each pad face down and take the glaze off of the pad before reinatalling it. Spray it down with brake cleaner and put the goo on the back.

Be sure that they fit tight, bend the tabs if you have to and make them tight, if you have tabs. Have your rotor resurfaced to get the finish cleaned up. Be sure to clean your rotors after resurface and before installation. After that, there is no reason in my mind not to reinstall the pads.

As far as the humming sound, I'm thinking it's not the brake pads though. If it is a wheel bearing, turn your wheel lightly to the left and then to the right while driving. If the noise goes away when turning right, the left wheel bearing is bad and vice versa.

What about a universal joint, does it make more or less noise when you hit the gas? Does it quit making the noise if it is raining out? I know that sounds weird but sometimes the joint will quiet down when you get water in it since the needle bearings are ground up and dry.

Old 08-30-09, 05:18 PM
whing or humming sound coming from van

I thought about u-joints but shouldn't there be a roaring or grinding sound?
You are going to cringe on this one.When i put the brakes on this last time,I inspected the rotors,which were new last time brakes were put on,and the rotors actually felt and looked real smooth from the inside out to the edge. I realize this is not recommended.
The problem is we only have the van,so i either take it to the shop or try to get it done as quick as possible and as good as i can. I think i did that.

Old 08-30-09, 08:22 PM
windstar is fwd, no u-joints, does have cv joints. most of the time humming noise can be checked by driving over different road surfaces, for instance asphalt is usually smoother than concrete and thus less noisy. thy driving on both to see if the noise comes back, if you only hear the noise on concrete then it is probably tire related. if you hear it on both surfaces then it is mechanical in nature and will require more diagnosis time. if the noise persists you will need set the van up on jack stand and invest in a automotive stethoscope and run the engine with it in gear to listen to different surfaces with the stethoscope to isolate the noise.
Murphy was a optimist

Old 08-31-09, 07:06 AM
humming or whining coming from van

I took the rotors off last night and the shop is turning them down now. When i told the guy what the van was doing he said he't switch wheels,front to back and back to front and see if there is any difference in sound first before anything else. Good thing my sister lives close because she let me use her car for this morning.
We're working on our house so we're waiting for cost on that before purchasing a second vehicle.We desparately need one.We use to have one but we loaned it out and it got totaled,no one hurt. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-31-09, 11:48 AM
whining coming from van

I put my van brakes back on and the haynes book said to tighten the calipe bolts,not the bracket bolts, to 25 ft lbs.I did that and that is not very snug at all.I just went ahead and tightened them up pretty snug.Was that a good move on my part or should the caliper bolts be at 25 ft lbs. for the brakes to operate right?
Also i brakes are fairly low 3/4 the way to the floor.They are there but i wouldn't mind having them a little higher.Now I did not bleed them ,i didn't take any lines loose or anything.Should i bleed them always or if there may be air in them?
Also i still have my whining noise after rotating wheels front to back.The wheels don't make any noise going around corners either way.Seems to me like it is coming from the rear,but like i said before its hard to tell.Thanks for any help. {Should i bleed the brakes?}

Old 09-01-09, 08:29 AM
whining sound coming from van

It doesn't make any strange sound when turning left or right.It defenitly whines faster when speeding up.
I am going to bleed the brakes but i have to find the new bleeders that i can do myself.I just never can count on help.Can i get those kind of bleeders at autozone or who should have them?

Old 09-01-09, 03:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
All you need is about a foot of vacuum hose and a empty bottle. put about a inch or 2 of brake fluid in bottle and put vacuum hose over bleed screw and the other end in the bottle in brake fluid. pump brake once or twice and go to next wheel. If you want to change fluid, put a pan under one wheel and open bleed screw and let it drip until clean fluid comes out. Make sure you keep master cylinder full or you will have other problems.

Old 09-01-09, 03:35 PM
whining coming from van

I started doing that last night,but it wasn't very long until my help had other committments. I think it is at least a good idea to put in new bleeder valves.The original valves are really rusted.I sprayed loosener on all of them.
I took it for a ride today to get some stain and most of the road is concrete but when i got about 4 miles from where i was going it turned into asphalt and the noise really almost disappeared.I'm thinking a steel-belt instead of bearings.What you think? Thanks for offering your opinion.

Old 09-01-09, 08:35 PM
You have rotated the tires from front to back & been into the brakes & still haven't found the noise.. Is it getting better or worse or the same?? If you are SURE the wheel bearings & tires are O.K., What about engine noise??? Power steering pump?? Alternator?? Idler & water pump bearings??? A/C clutch??? Can still be lots of other stuff.. Even the cam position sensor if you have the right engine.... Have you put something on the roof rack or mooved a part of it?? This changes air flow & noise in a vehicle... Can't hear the noise so I'm just grasping @ straws after 25 years of seeing common stuff working @ a ford dealer... Roger

Old 09-03-09, 04:36 PM
whining noise coming from van

It is the left rear wheel bearing.Thanks for all the help.

Old 09-04-09, 11:34 AM
whining coming from van

I took it to my tire shop and they took the wheel off and they thought it was a wheel bearing but it wasn't.I was the speed sensor that got rusted and corroded and was rubbing on the brake drum or something in there.They boss down there said he had never seen that before. I may have spent forever noticeing that.Anyway instead of costing me $170.00 it cost me $20.00.It finally paid off taking something to the shop.Beer 4U2