Car Battery

Old 08-29-09, 08:32 AM
Unhappy Car Battery

My wife drives a 2004 Mazda 3. In the last 6 months I have had to jump the battery 3 times because she has left the lights on.

The strange thing is that it seems to only take literally a few minutes with the lights on while the car is off for the car not to start.

Today, she was filling the car up with gas and forgot to shut the lights off and sure enough the car would not start.

Every time a jump the car, I just hook up both batteries and the car fires right over. Don't have to turn on my car, etc.

The odd thing is I drove the car about 4 miles home and let it sit in the garage for 2 hours and checked the battery with a volt meter and it shows 12.8 volts which seems correct since the car is not running.

The battery in the car is one that fluid can be added. I thought about enusring it was probably filled and see if this helps.

Anyone have any ideas. Don't want to replace the battery if nothing is wrong with it.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-09, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
If its the original battery..it's probably pretty much done. Yes, absolutely you need to check the water level..use distilled water only for topping off.

Most places will load check the battery for free.

Old 08-30-09, 07:52 PM
Have the battery "Load Tested" at a local parts store. They can tell you if it's holding a charge. If it's 6 years old, it's on borrowed time anyway.

Old 08-31-09, 04:47 AM
Get a new battery before it will not jump off, and your wife ends up walking( not good for you or her!!). At six years old it is on borrowed time.

Old 09-04-09, 02:53 PM
Car battery

Thanks for the input.

Went ahead and got a new battery. Car turns over like a champ. Hopefully I will get another 5 years.

Old 09-04-09, 07:04 PM
Glad to hear you did the right thing.

Gunguy is correct.
Most batteries last about 4 years and then your on borrowed time.

Old 09-15-09, 08:20 AM
Install a buzzer that goes off when the lights are on and the ignition is off to remind your wife to turn off the lights, otherwise, the new battery will begin to deteriorate with the repetitive deep discharges.