Venture temp. issue

Old 09-01-09, 07:38 AM
Venture temp. issue

We have a 2002 Chevy Venture with a 3.4L engine and about 75,000 miles. It seems that the temp gauage usually is between a 1/4 and a half of full scale. If we Idle for some time the guage creeps up to about 3/4 and then comes down to normal after a bit of driving. The weird thing is that when you are idling and it is at 3/4 if you turn the A/C on that also drops the temp. to normal. Not sure what the relationship between the A/C and coolant is ? Also we have a new waterpump in there and the coolant is full> Any thoughts. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-09, 11:11 AM
Sounds like the thermostat is working ok. The new water pump may not be circulating the coolant as good as the old pump to cause the temperature to rise while idling. Reason for AC to drop the temperature could be because when first turning on the AC the refrigerant is cooler as it starts through the condenser coils that just happen to be in front of the radiator. This will cause cooler air to temporarily cross the radiator fins and bring the temperature down. All in all I would say everything is working OK as long as the temperature gauge stays in the normal range, but don't forget to keep an eye on the temperature gauge. You never know when the thermostat may stick and cause the engine to overheat.

Old 09-01-09, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
I'd say its more likely that the fan temp sensor or one of the fans itself isn't working correctly. When you turn on the A/C (on some cars) I believe it forces the electric radiator fan to turn on.

Watch the fan when you let it idle with the A/C off...does the fan ever come on?

Not familiar with your vehicle, but looking at parts on Autozone..there is also a cooling fan relay..that may have something to do with it as well.

Search this Thread