1993 Ford Ranger Head Gaskets, 4.0 6 cyl

Old 09-01-09, 08:53 AM
1993 Ford Ranger Head Gaskets, 4.0 6 cyl

I have a water leak at the head gasket. I have been told that when I remove the heads I will have to replace the used head bolts with new ones. Is this for real?:

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-09, 08:14 PM
A coolant leak on a 4.0l?? Is it along the side of the engine or @ the front of it... May be an intake leak as well as a timing cover... There is a dye to put in the coolant that will leave a trace under "Black Light"" & this will verify that... As far as the head bolts go,, Yes you need new ones... They are ""Streach To Yeild"" & they never streach the second time around without breaking... Taking a chance is the same as buying another head gasket.... Sorry,,, Roger

Old 09-03-09, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the response. How things have changed. I suspect the coolant leak around the heads because of excess water coming from the tail pipe when the engine is first started. I have already repaired a coolant leak at the front of the intake manifold gasket. Might you have any reccommendations or suggestions that might preclude my having problems with removing the heads? It has been a while since I have gone this deep into an engine but I do believe that even as things change you still do the basics.

Old 09-03-09, 05:55 PM
93 Ford Ranger Head Gaskets

Thanks for the info. Can you think of any other specifics that I should be aware of before beginning the task of replacing the head gaskets. It has been a while since I have gone this deep into an engine but suspect that the basics are still the same.

Old 09-03-09, 08:16 PM
Is the water from the tailpipe coolant??,, or just condensation?? Are you loosing coolant at a steady rate??/ Remember that for every gallon of gas you burn, you get about a gallon of water & if the exhaust isn't hot enough to keep the vapor in suspension,, It'll condense & run out the tail pipe. You can pressure test the cooling system & also put a dye in the coolant to verify where it"s coming from...Unless you overheated the engine, a head gasket was the last thing to fail on the old 4.0l ....Roger

Old 09-04-09, 03:26 AM
I am with Roger, the 4.0 is prety much bullet proof, I replaced one that was sunk in a mud hole, filled with water and hydrolocked. Instead of pulling the spark plugs the owner just pulled it down the road with a chain, bent all the rods, but it would still run, and run smooth, just didnt have any power. You could push it to WOT sitting still in neutral, and count to 5 before it would rev to the redline.
As to yours, pressure test the cooling system before you pull the heads. I have seen water run out of the tailpipes of other vehicles that had nothing wrong with them, just condensation. If it does turn out to be the head gaskets, you will need a torque angle gauge to put them back on. I cant remember the numbers, but the torque on the 4.0 is so many foot pounds, then turn the bolt x number of degrees, this is how a torque to yield bolt works.

Old 05-25-12, 03:29 PM
what do i need to look out for and mark when taking it aprat to do the head gaskets