lost and confused with my 1998 mustang cobra

Old 09-01-09, 01:38 PM
Unhappy lost and confused with my 1998 mustang cobra

Hi all, I have a 1998 Ford Mustang Cobra. Recently when I tried to move my car it died on me. It started up fine twice but as soon as I touched the brake it shut off. Now when I press down on the clutch or brakes or power windows etc. I see the warning lights on the dash get dim and now it doesn't start at all. As as soon as release the clutch, brake etc. the lights get bright again and the alarms chirps. I thought maybe it was the battery and replaced it since it was an old battery but it still does this. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-09, 03:51 PM
Have you had the alternator tested? Do you have a set of under-drive pulleys on it? Has any work been done in the engine compartment where a ground wire might have been taken loose.

Old 09-01-09, 03:55 PM
the alternator was charging when it was running. I have not had it tested though. I had a new clutch cable put it but that was 3 weeks ago and it ran fine until now. It won't even start with another car trying to boost it.

Old 09-01-09, 04:35 PM
Possibly the battery has a bad cell in it, have it tested. Also have the starter tested, if the battery were just weak from the alternator not charging you should be able to jump it off.

Old 09-02-09, 01:10 AM
It's a brand new battery. I replaced the old one thinking it was the problem but even with the new one it does the exact same thing.

Old 09-02-09, 06:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Alternator

Try checking the alternator. Put a voltage meter on the battery terminals with engine running. Should read 13.8-15 volts DC.

Old 09-02-09, 11:18 AM
The car doesn't start. It doesn't even turn. As soon as i touch the clutch the car goes dead until i release it then everything comes back on.

Old 09-02-09, 03:27 PM
new batteries can be bad too. Have it tested! Ckeck the cables, look for spots that are swelled up, if you find any replace the cable, bend the cable back and forth over its entire length, if there are any spots that are not as flexable as the rest replace the cable. Make sure both ends of each cable are clean and tight.

Old 09-02-09, 06:44 PM
Do you have an aftermarket alarm, Anti-theft system, A remote start or an aftermarket sound system in it??? Any other modifications been done to the car??? Doesen't sound like a typical no-start... Let us know... Roger

Search this Thread