Question for tow guy

Old 09-10-09, 02:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Question for tow guy

Between the house and the school where my grandson goes there is an early 80's ford wrecker for sale. It's 4x4 and nice 2 tone paint job but..... it's the old style with the boom and sling. Can they be used for anything other than old cars and trucks that have a real bumper?

Not interested in buying, just curious
and yes I know what happened to the cat

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-09, 08:20 AM
wrecker

Tow must have broke his glasses and not seeing this one so ill take a stab at it since I have ran wreckers starting out with a Manley hand cranker on a 34 Chev. The sling type lifts would do serious damage to the air dams that almost drag the ground on newer vehicles. That is why you see wheel lifts and flat beds.

Old 09-18-09, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
And sure it can be used for other stuff...pulling out unwanted shrubs and old fence posts, recovering vehicles of pople who don't know how to launce a boat, etc etc...lol

Old 09-18-09, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, that's what peeked my curiousity. It's a nice looking truck and assuming it runs and works as well as it looks..... who would pay whatever it is that they are asking for it?

Old 09-18-09, 04:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
And sure it can be used for other stuff...pulling out unwanted shrubs and old fence posts, recovering vehicles of pople who don't know how to launce a boat, etc etc...lol
I pulled a small wood frame pole type building down with a pick up and a rope once.

My (other -elderly)neighbor told me that years ago in a small nearby town, these kids tied cable around the axle of a parked police car, and the rear axle tore off the squad car after the squad car attempted to give chase to the kids who then sped by him. I looked at him with an "oh, suuuure", look, and said that stunt was done in the movie "American Graffitti". But I thought they disproved that as busted on Mythbusters, I thought. Anybody remember that episode?

Old 09-20-09, 09:18 PM
Smile

Yeah, I remember the Myth Busters episode and know the movie American Grafitti well.
In the movie if played in slo-mo you can actually see the exhaust system, rear axle and all of dirt from the under carriage break away from the car. I have always been intrigued by this seen and was disappointed on Myth Busters that they couldnt do it.
First of all it's Hollywood who knows what George Lucas did to accomplish that scene and second of all a "62 Galaxy was built totaly differently from a '90's Crown Vic.
I still think it's doable if done on a vintage early 60's Galaxy but would cry to see a classic destroyed just to prove point.
In the movie it was Richard Dryfus hannging out of the '49 Merc flipping the bird to Officer Holstein and partner sitting in Gerry's Cherry's parking lot screaming "Here's One For Justice"..............Love that movie.

Old 09-21-09, 07:40 AM
Group Moderator
Caught me sleeping I guess, Mark, when you first posted this; didn't see it.

What everybody said is pretty accurate. I rarely use the sling that's included on my wheellift truck, but it sometimes comes in handy on heavier vans and pickups - the sling gives the truck a center of gravity farther forward than the wheel lift and helps keep my front wheels on the ground. Theoretically you can get away with using a sling on plastic bumpers, but it requires the use of 4x4 wood blocking to keep the support point off the bumper and onto frame members underneath. I've never tried it, but my late business partner used to refer to having done it. Quite a few older trucks running around have been converted from sling to wheellift by installing add-on wheellift equipment. And of course, as mentioned, the boom (and/or winch) can be put to a lot of uses.