New CA "clean air" gas pump nozzles don't fit our vehicle !

Old 09-10-09, 03:25 PM
New CA "clean air" gas pump nozzles don't fit our vehicle !

Old style pump nozzles work just fine. New ones have a larger/taller plastic body, hence not enough body will penetrate the filler door to permit the metal nozzle to get into the vehicle's filler tube all the way.

Pump will not click ON without the rubber nozzle boot being pushed against the filler tube.

Some gas stations have a mix of both new and old style nozzles but it sounds like all stations will have to convert by April 2010.

Is this just in CA or do other states do this also?

Do I have to carry some PVC of the right size to stuff into our filler tube and then push the new nozzle down into this?

Anyone else having this problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-09, 03:40 PM
geez, I'll have to take a look....what you describe is the way nozzles in CA have always worked, the I remember. Are you in a county which perhaps did not have strict smog regs until recently?

In San Diego, we have had some small stations going under because their exemption from double wall tanks expired, and they cannot afford new tanks/

Old 09-12-09, 09:42 PM
this might be dumb, but make sure you are not pumping diesel, i have seen people try.

Old 12-14-09, 12:07 PM
So, in three months since the last post.....no one in CA reading this forum has had a problem getting gasoline into their vehicles (we have a RV which causes the problem), because of the new, oversized pump handles?

Old 08-26-10, 09:28 PM
I am bringing this back up to the top, after 8 months, to see if anyone else has trouble getting the oversized gas pump handles into their RV filler door.

If so......how did you resolve it?

Old 08-27-10, 03:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Year, make and model of your vehicle please.

Old 11-06-10, 11:10 AM
ASE Master:

Sorry, I am so dumb I did not advise this is for a Winnebago Class A, Workhorse chassis.

In any event, after my last post I found an auto body person and he brought the filler tube up and closer to the filler door. When we went to CA last month, THE FIX WORKED GREAT. No problems at all.

Old 11-06-10, 12:40 PM
(Quote) YaddaYadda
ASE Master:

Sorry, I am so dumb I did not advise this is for a Winnebago Class A, Workhorse chassis.

Thanks for answering back, and yes you are right. On the mentioned vehicle the fuel filler neck does have to be extended

I just did one 9 days ago. How Winnebago dropped the ball on this one beats me

I sent them my ideas for resolving the issue, and still haven't heard from them.

Old 11-08-10, 12:16 PM
This has been discussed at iRV2 - The Friendly RV Forum Community under the same subject heading. Some people us a roll of electrical tape that they interpose between the nozzle and rubber accordion on the pump handle (to push it back). Other fixes are discussed, also.

This subject was in Motorhome mag more than a year ago in the Tech section. No answers given.

Guess that until two years ago only a few CA gas stations were switching to the new, oversized pump nozzles and W/I did not catch on. Even after myself and others had contacted them.

My best guess is to make the gasoline access door A LOT LARGER, so everything fits inside rather than fooling with filler neck adjustments.

It could be that the other States will be switching to larger pump nozzles, soon.

Old 11-08-10, 03:48 PM
I doubt any other states will have the same pumps. Whatever Cali does, all the other states will do opposite!

Old 11-08-10, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Ahhh...but there are about 10 others that follow CARB....I assume thats what this came from?