02 Olds Bravada check engine/reduced engine lights on

Old 09-14-09, 04:58 PM
02 Olds Bravada check engine/reduced engine lights on

I have a 02 Olds Bravada. A few weeks ago my check engine light came on out of the blue. Stopped at the local Advanced Auto store and the code was something to do with emissions control and a sticking or clogged solenoid that returns the fumes to the gas tank. Was told to put some injector cleaner in the gas tank and it would more than likely clear the error. Bought it, put it in and drove it for about 100 miles before the light DID go out on its own. Been fine since except for today when I pulled in the driveway and the hubby went to go somewhere about 15 min. later. Started it up and the engine started loping/idling erratic. Check engine light came on AND the reduced engine pwr light came on. Thought I could go to the gas station and re-do the injector cleaner fix but couldn't get over 10 miles an hr. Just did the injector cleaner and filled up with premium gas and let it idle for 1/2 hr but still no change. Don't have access to an OBD II reader OR auto parts store anywhere near me to drive to see the code. Does anyone think it's to do with my emissions still or is this a new error that has all of a sudden popped up? Kind of strange that it would happen all of a sudden. Possible bad gas or water in my tank? I was at just below 1/2 tank of gas. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-09, 06:20 PM
fuel injector cleaning is not the solution foera sticking purge solenoid or vent solenoid, If you can post the dtc we can help you better, it be a po440 evap system, P1441 purge during non-flow ect. if your purge solenoid is sticking it can cause a vaccum leak effect and cause an erratic idle. As for getting the trouble code I don;t believe u can with out getting a scan tool or code reader

Old 09-14-09, 06:34 PM
Good to know about the injector cleaner. It must have cleared by itself. I believe the code was PO446 that Advance Auto came up with. I've been searching the net trying to find a way to get a code without an OBD II reader. Not much luck. Heard sometimes you can turn your vehicle on and off so many times and the engine light will flash so many times for your code but not finding the info about it. Will have to take the vehicle to a local shop in the morning and pay to get the code read.

Old 09-15-09, 05:03 AM
Group Moderator
No quickie code reading tricks on GM OBD-II unfortunately.