As a professional mechanic, would you ever buy a new vehicle?

Old 09-16-09, 12:35 PM
As a professional mechanic, would you ever buy a new vehicle?

I use to turn wrenches for a living, but now I'm in the office of a vehicle fleet maintenance shop. The other day I was thinking, as a mechanic would I ever buy a new vehicle? Compared to buying a slightly used vehicle that needs minor (or major work based on sale price) work and use my skills to repair the car.

As a mechanic, we have a better idea of what a car is worth, it's resale value and how much it would take to repair. So we can use that knowledge to determine if that used vehicle is a better deal compared to a new vehicle. Try not to use salary income as a basis of used or new. When I say used, it can have as little as 5-10,000 miles.

Personally, I will probably never experience that "new car smell". Because I will always be on the look out for that great used car deal.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-09, 01:49 PM
Group Moderator
Won't see me in a dealer showroom. Beer 4U2

Old 09-16-09, 02:36 PM
For years, I had leased company cars and drove them for about 125,000 miles and the last miles were just as good as the first miles, but we did have a maintenance shop on site, but no problems with proper maintenance.

I bought a 1994 Corvette with 20,000 miles on it and drove it for another about 50,000 with no problems.

Currently, I have a 1999 Jimmy LST 4WD that I bought from GM corporate with 24,000 miles and have 135,000 on it and it still just as good as new, but I do good periodic maintenance (synthetic oil, plugs, wires, distributor, etc.) and don't skimp. My wife has a 2000 Blazer 4WD that we bought at 25,000 miles and she has about 100,000 with no problems on it with similar maintenance. The only complaint is with the "toy" front suspension, but replaced as much as possible with good when needed. If I had bought new, I would have had that problem.

I would not sell either vehicle since they are "bullet-proof" and I know what I have. You can afford some minor repairs compared to the depreciation and payments. Someday, I will have to replace them, but it will not be with a new vehicle and want someone else to eat the depreciation while he waits for it to be one or two years older than the newest.

If I win the lottery, I will buy an Audi A6 3.0T Quattro and run the trashy Mercedes E 350s, Jaguar XFs, Infinity M45s and BMW 535i's off the road in luxury, but I will have to bow down a buy new from a dealer. - that is the only reason to buy new. If I will want an Audi R8, I will have to wait on the 2-3 year list.

Dick

Old 09-16-09, 02:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I bought a new pickup in 1984 that I still have, Only bought it because I had never had a new one, And I never buy new any more.

Old 09-16-09, 03:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I posted this not that long ago, but OP may not have seen:

A guy I work for bought a used 2008 Ford 250 pickup with most the bells and whistles, and it was a dealership demo with 4000 miles on it, and he got it for $18,000 less than new and they even threw into the deal a real good snow plow/kit. Why buy new, with a deal like that?

Old 09-16-09, 04:15 PM
Never owned a new one and never will, not from a mechanical point of view, but from a fiscal good sense point of view, just cant stand the depreciation as soon as the papers are signed. Let someone else have the new car smell, and the depreciation, I will wait and grab up the good deals.

Old 09-16-09, 05:01 PM
And how many people ooh and ahh at someone elses new car in the same way it was when I was a kid, and there was only 100 million people in the country then (I just guessed at that), and somebodies dad brought home a shiny new '66 GTO or something. My dad bought a Valiant that had push button transmission. OOOOOOOH!

Now days I see all these new looking SUV-van vehicles, and I think...Who cares! They're probably in hock up to their neck, trying to impress others. Hopefully they aren't, because they are not impressing me. (Unless they have a burgundy Hummer with all the bells and whistles. ) I've seen too many different vehicles now in my life to have my head turn anymore. Hodeehohum.

Old 09-16-09, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Won't see me in a dealer showroom. Beer 4U2
What's your reasoning for saying this, is it about the depreciation like everyone else is saying?

I'm not ragging on those with new vehicles, big SUV or tiny econo-box. I think it's great they can buy new. It's probably safe to say there are some who are in brand new econo-box who can't afford those either. So it's unfair to say those with big shiny SUV's are in hock up to their necks.

Winning the lotto is definately the exception.

Old 09-17-09, 04:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"My dad bought a Valiant that had push button transmission"

My dad also had one. If I remember correctly it was 1963 bought in 64, replaced a 59 dodge [remember the tail fins?] I always thought the push button automatics were neat I think all the mopars had them and some of the GM,s.

Old 09-17-09, 04:58 AM
Group Moderator
Depreciation. Also the prices.

Old 09-17-09, 05:50 AM
I became a mechanic because I had to.
Fix this, fix that, fix everything, fix always.
I know this question is to disregaurd income.
So
Now I buy new lawnmower
Now I buy new kitchen appliences
Now I buy new lamps
Some day I would like to buy Brand new house
Some day I would like to buy brand new car
I never bought a brand new car
Could never afford it.
I would buy a brand new car if money was not object.
Just point it out and say I want that one in red and all options.

Old 09-17-09, 06:50 AM
I fotgot to mention, I would definately buy a new vehicle for my wife. If you're in the position to buy a new vehicle, go ahead and do it. For me, I will always think, why buy this '10 model when I can buy a 09 or 08 model that needs a little TLC to bring back to a excellent condition.

Old 09-17-09, 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
My dad also had one.
Gimme 5, bro'!

......a 59 dodge [remember the tail fins?]
Remember the sorta square steering wheel?, and left-thread passenger side lugs(so lug nuts would self-tighten)? And cars with secret gas cap locations, like having to turn the rear tail light or lower the top of the license plate, etc.? The good 'ole days.

But.......more good ol' days just let go of us yesterday when Mary (Travers?) of Peter, Paul and Mary, died. Rats! And Dr. Herr Klopec, from the comedy movie with Tom Hanks, "The Burbs" (Henry Gibson), died also. Rats again! Remember him from "Laugh in"?

Old 09-17-09, 09:41 AM
I'm going to be in the market for a new car in the next few weeks, as the old Mercury is right at 300,000 miles. I used to think that 12,000 miles a year was standard mileage, but I'm seeing a lot of three year old used cars with 60-80,000 miles on them. At that point, any depreciation is offset by the fact the vehicle is half used up. Plus, I've noticed that the depreciation is never that much for the BUYERS, it seems to only apply if you're trading in your newer car.

My parents and grandparents were adament about buying only new cars, and I've only bought one used car myself, although it only had 9,000 miles on it. So I'm in a quandary.....so I buy brand new and get exactly what I want, or do I buy something 3 years old and have questions about its past. I drive 100 miles a day to my job, so reliability is a huge concern for me. I do get suspicious of cars that are only one or two years old and traded in, but I suppose there are some good buys out there that aren't lemons.

Old 09-18-09, 07:56 AM
buying new car

It would be nice if everyone could buy one new car to get it out of their system. To find out that new ones arent perfect,and once you get it it still isnt exactly what you want. I have had a few new ones but now buy used. I recently bought an 06 Montana loaded for 9K and the old truck I have listed for 18K and I gave 3500. Of course if you cant do your own repairs this is a factor. I had my own shop so this wasnt a problem.