Datsun 280z sputtering

Old 09-19-09, 02:46 PM
Datsun 280z sputtering

I have a 1977 Datsun 280z with electronic fuel injection. It only has 8000 original miles. When the fuel tank gets down to about half full, the engine starts sputtering. I have to pull over and release the pressure from the gas cap, and then it runs fine for about 10 minutes...then it starts sputtering again.

I put a new fuel pump, and fuel filer. I also put an inline filter between the gas tank and pump that has a clear housing to see if there is any debris. It has been 6 months and there is no debris in the inline filter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-09, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you changed gas caps to a vented one, yet? Sounds as if it is overpressurizing. The venting in your cap may be occluded.

Old 09-19-09, 04:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Or maybe you do not have a vented cap, but maybe the system is vented with an evaporative system, to recover the gas(pollution control), and has a charcoal cannister and a return line and vent. And something within that sysem could be clogged, whether the cannister or a tube bent/collapsed, or vent plugged. Some cars have a map of that system under the hood. If not, that drawing will be available.

Old 09-20-09, 09:28 PM
I have to agree with the other guys.......it was the first thing that came to mind. the cap needs to be vented or the vent at the tank is clogged.

My buddy had a "74 Datsun 240Z back in the late 70's and we had so much fun with car........