Sick 1994 Ford Probe 4 cyl.

Old 09-20-09, 12:36 PM
Smile Sick 1994 Ford Probe 4 cyl.

I have a 1994 Ford Probe 4 cylinder with 65,000 original miles on it. The car has been in storage, just sitting, for over a year. I put fresh gas in it and a fresh battery, but it won't start. I pulled the spark plugs out and put oil in each of the cylinders. With the spark plugs out, I turned the engine over and let it run, but it actually never started (priming the engine with oil). I put the spark plugs back in and turned it over. It didn't start. I pulled the air filter and shot some starting fluid into the air breather. It tried to start, but wouldn't stay running. I thought maybe the fuel didn't get to the engine. Tried again and it will not stay running without the starting fluid. I thought the fuel pump wasn't running and need to know where the fuel pump relay is located. And where the fuel pump cutoff switch is.
Any help from anyone would be great!

Thanks, Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-09, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
Not sure about a Probe, but Ford generally puts the inertia cutoff either behind the kick panel on the passenger side or back in the cargo area/trunk behind a small access. Pretty easy to tell if the pump is running. Listen at filler cap while someone turns key on; should hear it hum for a few seconds. That's the best starting point. After a year in storage you're likely to have two problems (at least); #1 is stale gas, #2 is the leftover fuel in the system - injectors and such - has now turned to varnish. Two things I would immediately do: Check that pump is running, and drain out the bad gas (dispose of properly) and replace. Don't refilll the tank until you are sure the pump is running.

Old 09-21-09, 06:29 AM
Smile sick 1994 ford probe

the fuel pump is not running chk the fuse it is ok,
it looks like i will be pulling a gas tank.

Old 09-24-09, 04:59 AM
Smile sick 1994 ford probe

what is the best way to clean varnsh out of the gas lines

Old 09-24-09, 08:30 AM
Start by changing the fuel filter (buy two of them). Then use Sea Foam in the first tank, change the filter again and keep Sea Foam in it for the next couple of tanks. It'll take all that gunk out of it.

Old 09-24-09, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by bob1908 View Post
the fuel pump is not running chk the fuse it is ok,
it looks like i will be pulling a gas tank.
Bob , stop right there do not pull the gas tank. the cut off switch for your probe is in the trunk on the driver side panel. remove it . the other fuse you need is a big green fuse its under the hood by the front bumper. now before you go through all the trouble... look for vacuum leak around the throttle body. have the throttle positioning sensor ( tps ) looked at or replace it. try that first if it still don't work let me know. Trust me I know a lot about those cars. I'm so sick of looking at them.

Old 09-24-09, 03:45 PM
Droe419 has some valuable advice.. Also check the hose from the air filter to the throttle body for tears... If it's O.K, check the flap inside the air filter housing... This turns on the fuel pump as air moves past it . If it's stuck, It won't swing & turn the fuel pump on... Roger

Old 09-27-09, 11:17 AM
Smile sick probe

if i turn the key on it should turn on the pump run for 2 or 3 sec. it dosen't run all i went to disc connector and did a fuel pump by pASS still don't run i chk switch in the trunk with a ohm meter and the switch acting right

please help i don't want to pull the tank!!!!!
i'm got cancer and i don't think i up to this.(pullig the tank)

Last edited by bob1908; 09-27-09 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-27-09, 05:25 PM
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but doesen't the probe have an axcess plate under the rear seat??? It is a Mazda in disquise... Have you checked for power anywhere??? If it has an air vane type air flow meter,, the pump won't run till air moves the flap inside the meter.. Are there any codes??? Sorry,, not much help tonight.. Roger

Old 09-28-09, 07:15 AM
Smile probe

i have power 13.2 volts to the tank i chk the bump switch it works fine.no codes i will chk under the seat to see access spot. will post back later.

Old 09-28-09, 07:43 AM
Bob,, Also check for a ground as well... Hope you have the little cover.. Let us know, Good luck... Roger

Old 09-28-09, 08:50 AM
Smile probe

well no access spot in this car

Search this Thread