1998 Town and Country Hatch Strut bolt broke and I tried to drill it out but....

Old 09-20-09, 03:50 PM
1998 Town and Country Hatch Strut bolt broke and I tried to drill it out but....

So my wife goes to pick up the rear hatch on our seemingly free rust free Town and Country and the bolt holding the hatch strut on the body broke.

I tried to apply heat and force, but the bolt was really in there.

I drilled at the bolt and then tried to reverse, but it wouldn't budge.

I ended up making a hole too big for an original bolt to go in.

To make it worse there is no way that another bolt can be used in place of the original one. The bolt's head is held into the strut "permanently".

So in summary, if I buy another set of struts (not really required because this set isn't tired) the new bolt won't fit on that side.

I have heard of helicoils and stuff like that, but I have never gone that route.

I have also heard that you can stick jb weld in the hole and retap etc. I just wouldn't trust that stuff for this kind of weight bearing repair.

Any thoughts? Funny how a little thing can turn into a BIG deal.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-09, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
You are dealing with tin so a helicoil or JB Weld will not work.

Can you drill a hole opposite where the nut is secured to put in a large washer and lock nut.
If you drill the hole with a 7/8" metal holesaw an electrical hole cap will fit.
The proper way would be to weld in another nut which would be done with a mig welder.

Old 09-20-09, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
You are dealing with tin so a helicoil or JB Weld will not work.

Can you drill a hole opposite where the nut is secured to put in a large washer and lock nut.
If you drill the hole with a 7/8" metal holesaw an electrical hole cap will fit.
The proper way would be to weld in another nut which would be done with a mig welder.
That sounds like a good idea! Are you sure it is tin I am dealing with? If I was to take a look at the other side, I would be seeing a nut welded in place? Sorry I have never taken a look at the other side of what is behind where I drilled.

Thanks!

Old 09-20-09, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Honestly, I am unsure of how exactly that area looks.
If the nut is in a pillar you may not be able to get behind it.
If you had a clear close up pics of what you are talking about it would be easier to offer advice.

You could upload pics to a free site like Photobucket and provide a link then we would have a better idea.