2001 Accord timing belt tensioner

Old 09-22-09, 03:16 PM
2001 Accord timing belt tensioner

Hello all, I'm in the process of replacing the timing belt on my V6 Accord. I've got to the point where I need to loosen the tension on the belt to remove it. It is a hydraulic tensioner and am wondering if anyone knows the trick to releasing the tension on it. I've heard that by installing the battery tie down bolt it will hold the tensioner, but I've done that and it doesn't release the tension at all. I'm afraid it will be too tight to get the new belt on, so I'm asking the pros! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-09, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Did you check Autozone repair procedures...sorry no time for me to do it right now....

Old 09-22-09, 05:38 PM
Yes, that is where I got the little info I've got! It only gives info to remove the belt, not the tensioner. In order to replace the water pump, the tensioner has to be removed and I have no way of releasing the tension on it to do that! The belt can just be 'forced' off, and the tensioner is held by the battery bolt. Any other suggestions? Anyone?

Old 09-23-09, 06:03 AM
I can't speak directly to your car, but every hydraulic tensioner I've ever seen had a hole for some kind of retainer pin - I've used paper clips, drill bits, cotter pins, etc. You have to collapse the tensioner and then insert the retainer. Collapsing it usually requires removal, and you shouldn't have to do that to remove the belt. Additionally, I've also never seen a hydraulic tensioner without an internal spring-assist. In other words, replace the tensioner with the belt.

Old 09-23-09, 06:34 AM
Update: I was able to slip the belt off, although it was very tight. I backed off the 'battery hold down bolt' and the tension was reapplied to the tensioner pulley. Removed both the pulley and the tensioner and discovered that there is an access bolt on the back side. Removed the bolt and lo and behold, inside was a flat head screw for adjusting the tension. However, when you turn this screw to compress the tensioner and let it go, it pulls itself back out (tensions itself again). I drilled two very small holes to hold some fine wire to hold the compressed tensioner together. I will install the belt, then tensioner, then cut the wire to release the tensioner. I hope it works, seems like it will! I will take some pictures tonight and repost. Haven't posted pics yet on this forum, so hope it works! Thanks to all for your help in replying.

Search this Thread