1988 olds 98 stalling

Old 09-22-09, 05:12 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1988 olds 98 stalling

hi got a 88 old 98 with v-6 i start it it run for a min or so then just dies i can start it but have too keep revs up too keep it running no codes come up and ideas?

Old 09-22-09, 05:38 PM
N
possibly a vacumm leak/ hose deteriorated/ at an idle,as it dies-do you hear an audible hiss-sucking noise(vacumm leak)
'if' you can keep it running from under the hood-try to spray brake clean,with the straw that comes with the can around,!!STAY AWAY FROM DIST CAP!! if it has one.if rpm picks up you are close to a leak.
might just try -disconnect battery for a min.& reconect

Old 09-22-09, 07:29 PM
V
Originally Posted by newtofta View Post
possibly a vacumm leak/ hose deteriorated/ at an idle,as it dies-do you hear an audible hiss-sucking noise(vacumm leak)
'if' you can keep it running from under the hood-try to spray brake clean,with the straw that comes with the can around,!!STAY AWAY FROM DIST CAP!! if it has one.if rpm picks up you are close to a leak.
might just try -disconnect battery for a min.& reconect
i did battery disconnect already still same issue and try vacuam leak test no leaks visible or with brake clean

Old 09-23-09, 09:08 AM
N
i am a 'ford' tech,so not too familiar with the g.m. set up.
there has to be a way for the pcm to control idle speed.
possibly a malfunction.
if you try, can you hold it at an idle speed,or does it die when rpm drops below say 1500 rpm(avery high idle)
if you can 'make' it idle i would think along the line of the devic that controls idle speed.
if it dies below the high idle speed-i still am leaning to a vacumm leak.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: