ABS Sign on Ford Windstar 1999

Old 09-23-09, 01:57 PM
Question ABS Sign on Ford Windstar 1999

Hello
Ford Windstar LX 1999, 3.8 L Engine
I have recently rebuild my transmission (3 months back), recently changed the brakes including drum (1 and half month back), 2 weeks back changed a new battery, Now I am seeing ABS Sign constantly on. I went to a Mechanic he mentioned suggested to change Front wheels bearings on both the sides (driver and passenger) to be replaced. He is asking for more $225 per wheel to change the bearings. But I don't know if he is right about ABS lights being on and it will go away after I change the bearings. Please adivse.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-09, 02:07 PM
depends on what codes are in the 'abs' module.
i work for a ford dealer. have never had this situation.
most comon problem is a failed control module.
if the veh has cruise control- something to inspect is the pressure switch on the bottom front of the master cylinder.
look for brake fluid at the wire connector-if wet replace the switch.

Old 09-23-09, 02:08 PM
I'd start with checking the fluid level in the Master Cylinder... If it's not right full, It'll shut down the ABS & turn the light on.... Start there & maybe that's all you need.... The Tech should be able to watch the signal from the front speed sensors.. Ask him if he can monitor the speed signals... It's not activating on you without any wheels locking.. Is it??? Roger

Old 09-23-09, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the quick reply newtofta and hopkinsr2.
I don't know too much technical terms but where is the master cylinder in ford windstar 99. Is there a image i can see from any website?

Old 09-23-09, 07:35 PM
it is directly behind the connection of the air to throttle body tube - just behind the battery-the tube has multiple ridges-3-4"in dia-a hose clamp on each end-a pcv tub in the middle, on back side
you might 'quizz' the shop you are at, if the have the equipt to look at wheel speed signals.
or,even pull codes from the 'abs'module.

Old 09-23-09, 08:06 PM
Do you have the owners manual??? It'll show you the location of the Master Cylinder & list the right fluid to put into it... newtofta has you in the right place,, Left of the car, up against the bulkhead, under the hood.... Look around,, You'll find it.... Roger

Old 09-25-09, 02:09 PM
Hello newtofta, hopkinsr2
I checked the master cylinder and put the fluid. Now that i remember i had just 1 and half month back changed the brake and so that fluid is ok. I don't know in NJ Autozone can check the ABS Signals on front speed....
Any thing else I can check?

Old 09-25-09, 03:30 PM
i do not think autuzone will be able to pull abs codes.
it takes a more sophisticated scanner than they probably have.
the guy that wanted to replace wheel bearings,did he pull codes-or is he just guessing??
did you find the switch i was refering to at the ft.bottom of the master cylinder??(if it has cruise control)
with out codes there is not much any one can do.
your local ford dealer can pull the codes/make a diagnosis.
probaly cost you $100 just to find out it is going to cost another $400/600 to fix it.
with the abs lite on,you still have normal brakes-like a vehicle with out abs.