Oil Changing 1991 Plymouth Acclaim

Old 09-24-09, 07:37 AM
Oil Changing 1991 Plymouth Acclaim

Hello Everyone: I was wondering how those oil siphons work to change the oil in my car instead of climbing under neath each time. Anyone use them before?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-09, 09:09 AM
Thumbs down

i have not used one,
but i do not think it would come close to getting all the oil out.
are you not going to change the filter any way?

Old 09-24-09, 09:52 AM
Yes, I always change the filter, but I have another problem now I let the repair shop do an oil change last time and they put the Drain Plug on to tight. I can just about reach it with a socket wrench but I cannot get it to move. Any suggestions would be appreciated? Thanks

Old 09-24-09, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator
I've know people that used them. Seemed to work OK, though I didn't stand and watch them.

On a 91 Acclaim...I wouldn't be too worried about getting every last drop out. As long as you get 80% out and then refill, should be a non-issue. You'd have to make sure the hose gets to the deepest part of the pan of course.

I think ecman has a car like yours..maybe he'll know if there are baffles or windage trays that would interfere.

Old 09-24-09, 10:24 AM
Good, I hope ecman can jump in here when he can?
Any Idea's on getting this drain plug to loosen, I guess I am not on the correct angle to put my full force on it to loosen it, Dont know why they tightened it so much, I was beginning to think it had a reverse threading on it, but I just saw a video and the drain plug to unscrew to the left as usual.

Old 09-24-09, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
well, ecman has work to do..unlike me...lol.

When I was confronted with a tight drain plug, I either used a correct sized 6 point socket, square on the head...or a tight fitting open end wrench..even if I had to tap it onto the head with a hammer. Never a box end or 12 pt socket. The one thing I didn't want was a rounded off head.

Old 09-24-09, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean, If I could get the car on a real good pair of Ramps, I maybe able to get a better grip and loosen it with a good box wrench.
The Ramps I use to have were too dangerous, they were short and you had to be right on the button when you drove onto them, and they Moved if I was not on a tarred driveway.
I would like to get a long ramp but the ones I saw were only 12 inchs high, can you get ramps extra wide and maybe atlease 18 inchs high?

Old 09-24-09, 03:01 PM
possible-take it to a local shop(not walmart-jiffy lube)
explain your problem-ask if he can get the plug out !'with out rounding it off'!!!
let him change the oil-ask him not to over tighten it
once'you' round it off because you dont have the necessary socket-it will be too late.
just 'my' thought.

Old 09-28-09, 06:30 AM
oil change

The Ramps I use to have were too dangerous, they were short and you had to be right on the button when you drove onto them, and they Moved if I was not on a tarred driveway.

If you are using ramps on dirt you are asking for a short life. Never use ramps unless they are on a solid base.

Old 09-28-09, 08:50 AM
Retired Wrench: You are so right, I use to have metal ramps and they did the same thing.
I would not even begin to trust these new plastic ones.
BTW, I dont know if I was dreaming this or not, but I thought I heard of a Drain plug that you dont take off, it suppose to have a spout or something you unscrew, if anyone knows of these are they for real and if so what happens it you hit a bump in the road can it open this valve by accident??

Old 09-28-09, 07:02 PM
One type: replaces drain plug with new one. That is a "passthru"
The "passthru" comes with a cap, and a thread-on with short hose
that allows the "passthru" to open when the thread-on is attached,
after the cap is removed for the oil drain.
The thread-on can be detached from its short hose.
This item, you have to research which specific model, as per the make/model
of your vehicle.