Erratic miss

Old 09-27-09, 10:38 AM
Erratic miss

I have a 2002 Buick LeSabre with a 3800 Series II v-6 at about 115,000miles. It has always run very well and has always been serviced as needed. No problem history.

Lately I have noticed an occasional erratic miss while driving at highway speed, cruise or not. It is sort of like a hiccough for a split second and then clears. It may do it twice and then nothing the rest of the ride. The heater/air unit is not on.

I thought it may be a dirty fuel filter or a slug of moisture in the gas line but my mechanic says it is probably 95% chance ignition-related and a good tune up should clear it up.

What say you?

Thx

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-09, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
Plugs and wires would be a good start; that's about the extent of a tuneup nowadays. Unless they've been done recently they're good preventive maintenance replacements worth doing even if they don't ultimately fix the problem.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 09-28-09 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Can't spell this morning
Old 09-27-09, 08:04 PM
erratic miss

I agree with Tow if they havent been replaced youve been lucky.

Old 09-30-09, 08:32 AM
3800's are bad about ignition modules going out, look for signs of something leaking from the module.
pull the plug wires off the coil one at a time and check for corosion.
personally I would get it to a gm shop and pay their diag so your not just hanging parts on it in hope that it will fix the problem.

Old 09-30-09, 10:46 AM
I was having the same issue with my 2001 LeSabre...I was getting some really rough vibrations, and sluggish performance whenever I would hit the accelerator. Kinda like the car was gasping for fuel...so I replaced the fuel filter, didn't fix it. Had a friend of mine at a shop put a tester on it and found that two cylinders were misfiring. New plugs and wires and all has been fine for 2 years...

Old 10-07-09, 05:35 PM
FOLLOWUP:

I had the plugs and wires changed, throttle body cleaned, and a new fuel filter, and all seemed fine, ran good for about 2 weeks. And then, same thing.

Since I was taking it in next day for a tranny flush anyway I had them diag for any code errors and sure enough, they came up with a soft code for the mass air flow sensor. They figured to be about a 99.9% certain. So far so good and Mama says it runs like a new car.

Wingrider78-you ever have any problems with your windows in your car? I understand for several years Buick had some real problems with the operating mechanism inside the door failing and being REAL expensive to fix. We haven't, but was wondering...

Thx for the input all.

Old 10-07-09, 05:52 PM
Are you kidding...so much trouble with the windows. We bought the car used in 2006, and on the test drive the rear pass window regulator went bad. Dealer fixed that before we bought it. Since then I have replaced all window mechanisms due to different failures, including the rear passenger that was fixed at the dealer (the only good replacement to buy is the regulator/motor) I had motors go bad, cables get pinched and plastic guides snap. I have also replaced two of the replacements, both passenger side windows. I can also do the rear drivers side again, but I refuse to fix them anymore. Each window regulator/motor combo cost anywhere from 125-150 bucks online after shipping. Not too expensive unless you have to do 10 of them

Old 10-08-09, 06:05 AM
Group Moderator
A little surprised you weren't getting a check engine light with the MAF problem. No harm done hitting the other items first since they are routine preventive maintenance items anyway.

Old 10-09-09, 10:59 AM
I probably would eventually get a check engine light if I had let it get worse, is my guess. The other things were due at 100,000 miles and the car has 115,000 so I would have done those anyway. We bought the car 2 1/2 years ago with 11,000 on it and the 104,000 are almost all highway miles. Car runs great.

Wingrider78: any tips on those windows you want to share? Like, did you repair/change-out yourself, how difficult was it, and where did you get parts? I can't believe our 2002 Le Sabre is going to be exempt....

Old 10-09-09, 12:03 PM
Well, it isn't a difficult repair, once you get the door panel off. Those things can be tricky little buggars. I did the work myself, as I do with almost all of the repairs to our vehicles. It basically comes down to this

1. take door panel off
2. get window to proper height to loosen the clamp holding it
3. secure the window so it doesn't fall into the door
4. take the bolts off holding the window regulator (3 of them I think)
5. slide the regulator out (noting how you did it, the first one that I did, I just yanked it out and then it took me about an hour of fiddling with the new one to get it in the right way, you'll know what I mean if you ever have to do one. There is only one way to get it in.)
6. put the new regulator in (hopefully you remember how you got the original one out)
7. reverse step 4
8. reverse step 3
9. reverse step 2
10. reverse step 1

All I have done with the window that still needs another fix is to clip the wires inside the door panel that controls the window motor, so it can't accidentally be used by someone who doesn't know.

Old 10-10-09, 05:14 AM
So the replacement part is just the regulator? Where did you find the most success locating that part?

Search this Thread