2000 Caravan No Locks/Fule Gage????

Old 09-28-09, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2000 Caravan No Locks/Fule Gage????

I have a 2000 Dodge Caravan w/ 3.0 engine. My problem is, today when I went out to get in my van the doors would not unlock using my remote. So I stuck the key in and went on my way to get some gas. After filling up I pulled out and noticed my gas gage was reading empty!! I just put gas in! Like $20 worth. I then noticed that my doors will only lock when I press the lock buttons in the car(I tried all of them) they wont unlock and if the door is already unlocked and I press the unlock button the doors will lock? The power windows work fine and so dose everything else as far as I can tell. I took a quick look at the "gauges" fuse and it looked good. I dont know what else to check. Does anyone have any idea what the heck is going on with this? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-09, 02:26 PM
Anybody got any opinions...?

Old 09-30-09, 02:54 PM
Now the door locks dont work at all (power)! Dose anyone know what the fuel gage and the door locks have in common? Why would they both stop working at the same time? I dont have the money to take it anywhere right now, so I would like fix it my self if I knew where to start.

Old 09-30-09, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Hi samm.

No expert on this but I have a similar problem with door locks on an "05 Grand Caravan in that the electric locks do not work at all.
The remote lock control triggers the system but no open or lock and there aren't any other electrical problems.
What I will do but haven't had the time is study the wiring diagram to confirm which fuse controls it and then trace out the wiring to try to locate the faulty component.

I'll take a guess that your problem because of multiple faults might originate from a common location which could be the ignition switch or relays.

Unless a Chrysler experienced mechanic comes to bail both of us out your best friend would be a manual with wiring diagrams.
If you are unable to do this then your second best friend would be a Chrysler dealer.

Old 09-30-09, 04:48 PM
hey Gregh thanx for the reply, I have the manual but dont know if it has the electrical schematic in it but will check. I see where your going with the ignition switch/relays, but are you also missing the fuel gauge? I dont understand how its just those two or why those two. If I stumble upon anything that can help us I'll post it.

Old 09-30-09, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
The reason I say the fuel gauges may be affected is because it turns on with everything else the ignition switch controls.

Old 09-30-09, 05:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by samm View Post
......and I press the unlock button the doors will lock?
To be clear, what you are saying is that inside, using the door panel controls - not the remote this time - you get the opposite function to occur?

It would be interesting to try to read a wiring schematic, unless one gets stymied by having it wind up getting 'lost' in a body control module or something, where a lay person can no longer decipher anything.
A DIY ad above says there are 12 Dodge mechanics online waiting to help you.

Old 09-30-09, 06:21 PM
"
To be clear, what you are saying is that inside, using the door panel controls - not the remote this time - you get the opposite function to occur?
"

Yes exactly, it was operating backwards for a few times before it stopped working all together.
I havent gone to get the manual yet, but I dont have a lot of faith in my abilities to understand it if it's even there. Sometime they can get very confusing to a lay person.

Old 09-30-09, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
The reason I say the fuel gauges may be affected is because it turns on with everything else the ignition switch controls.
Yeah, but the locks should operate irrespective of the ignition switch, right? I mean you don't have to have the key in the ignition in order for the locks to work, the fuel gauge I'm not sure never really paid attention to it. Actually I cant remember if it goes to empty when you shut off the ignition.

Old 09-30-09, 06:56 PM
This may be off topic a bit because mine's a chevy astro van, but I recently had a similar problem with the power locks. It turned out to be the fuse marked "accessories" was burned out. Nothing in the fuse panel said anything about the locks. However, when I replaced that fuse, they started working again. Go figure.

Old 10-01-09, 08:12 AM
Ya but.....his can be made to work, only work backwards depending on what he does - as opposed to not work at all. I'd love to not have to go to work and tackle jobs like this, for funzies.

Old 10-01-09, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by samm View Post
..... but I dont have a lot of faith in my abilities to understand it if it's even there. Sometime they can get very confusing to a lay person.
I think they do this on purpose so their dealers make more money. I always liked the Mitchell's wirng schematics(have the pages needed for electrical on all the cars I have had -be sure to copy the 'legend' page, as well!) at the library for free, in the reference desk area (you can't take them home -they are expensive giant books - you must leave there and copy pages that help you. I guess that is legal or else they should not have copy machines at the library.