Mercury Sable radio swap ??

Old 09-28-09, 11:48 AM
Question Mercury Sable radio swap ??

Hello All! I have a 98 Sable Wagon that the casette player stopped working on. I use it to power a portable CD player. On Ebay I have found plenty of radios for this car....but they all say that I will need to get the theft code. Is there anyway to by-pass this theift code? The car is 11 yrs old with 160k miles on it. I don't want to spend a tone of $ but need my music to commute.

Thanks,

Doug Beer 4U2

What can go wrong...Does at my place!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-09, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Might be tough but you might want to explore a FM transmitter type setup. Probably a lot more radio stations there than here, so you'd need to find a clear area on the spectrum.

Old 09-28-09, 04:41 PM
Go to Crutchfield; there will be a radio to fit your car without needing a theft code.

Old 09-28-09, 05:01 PM
i work for a ford dealer,i do not do the 'radio/trim/electrical.
i do know a little though.
what you are refering to is that the vehicles have become so sophisticated,that 'all' electronics comunicate over a 2 wire system that embeds the vehicle 'vin'# in to each device/module.(if it dont match-it dont work) i did not know that that was employed in a '98' model.

i drive a '96' 250-when the radio quit,i was able to get a used one-as you are thinking-with no problems.

Old 09-29-09, 11:13 AM
Cool Yep its on the '98

I am still trying to go on the cheap. I can get a stock radio for $10.00 that includes the shipping. So I don't want to have to pay to get the security blockage fixed.

Anyone else with thoughts?

Thanks,

Doug Beer 4U2

What can go wrong....Does around my place

Old 09-29-09, 01:52 PM
as i stated,for my 96 there was no security block involved

Old 09-29-09, 02:49 PM
What is the music for you'r morning commute worth??? It's no big deal for any dealer to reset the security code... It'll be cheeper than an aftermarket raido & if the battery goes dead, you'll have to reset it anyway... Have you checked the owners manual to see if the procedure is in it??? $10.00 for the raidio & programming, maybe 30 /40 bucks... How cheep do you want to be??? Just my thought.. Roger